Brake Bleeding

yellowhusaberg

hi guys,problem bleeding my brakes on the coupe and not sure why?it's running cosworth sierra disc's and turbo calibra calipers on the front with xr4i disc's and calipers on the back,get a good pedal with engine off as soon as i start the engine the peddle goes tho the floor,why?

That has to be servo related, any loss of fluid from the master cyl ??? and if so, any fluid on the floor ??? if not on the floor but still lost from res, then its going into the servo.

HTH, Cheers, Colin.

as colin says....

If you have to press once and then again to get a good brake, then there's a possibility that there's air in the system. To test the servo - pump the pedal until it's rock solid with the engine switched off, and then while you maintain pressure, start the engine and the pedal should sink about an inch and then maintain that position - if it creeps down, then suspect master cylinder allowing air into the sytem through a faulty seal.

thanks for the advice guys,if i pump the pedal 2 or 3 times with engine off i have a brake,as soon as i start engine though and take foot off pedal no brake until i pump the pedal 2 or 3 times again but i keep losing the brake as soon as i lift of the brake pedal.the fluid level in the reservoir dosn't drop at all so not sure if it's leaking anywhere,can it be getting air in around the banjo bolts or the copper washers?but they don't appear to be wet with fluid.

Once bled does pedal stay hard without pumping it up? Totally ignore servo for now as even with slid pedal it will go down once servo assists.

If once bled and hard keeping foot on pedal goes slowly down over time I would suspect master cylinder seals.

Safety first, if in doubt seek expert advice.

I would be a bit worried if you are still using the standard GTE 20mm master cylinder, as a minimum you need the Senator/Monza 23mm master cylinder (which had rear discs as standard), bolts onto your servo, and brake pipes...