Total Light-Mare

BoXXerRACE

ive got an on going problem with the middle lights on my exclusive hatch.

These ones (0)->(0)==o==(0)<-(0)

i've had the earths off, cleaned and re-attached and they worked for a bit then stopped again, ive checked the bulbs, fuses and stalk and there all fine, i can get high beam on the outer lights but they only light up the sides of the road. I was fiddling with them today for about 2 hours and manged to get one on buy detaching the other, then i re-attached the other one and they both came on, but now they've stopped working again this really has my head battered.

The relay itself can become dodgy with age and the Scotchlock or whatever it is called connecting standard wiring to the relay loom from a high beam wire on the back of the standard wiring (outer beam wiring on relay side of car - I say that as relay is one side on 1.8 and another on 2.0) bears a look at and clean to make sure it can consistently throwing the relay over. Additionally look for the relay earth under the relay mounting bracket.

Finally consider putting new ring terminals on the earths (soldering helps stop future corrosion) clean the patina off the copper if found when doing that. On occasion I have also separated earth to multiple ring terminals and earth screws where more than one standard wire goes into a ring terminal. Once screwed down separately you can still have a bad earth but removes common earthing effects so easier to see which circuit you need to play with.

Cheers guys, i checked the relay and its ticking over nicley, and i replaced common earth points with new self tappers and then tested them with my multimeter and there no problems there. As for the contacts ive totaly blitzed them with wd40 then powerflux and a burner till they looked good as new and still nothing do you recon the wire in the loom could be snapped? mabey my fiddling could be causing it to contact and then come apart again? i'm gunna strip all the tape off the loom today and inspect the wires.

i tested the resistance from the lamps to the earthing point and then from the lamps to the metal braid that attaches to the negative terminal of the battery, both were fine. i started to strip the black tape off the loom to inspect the wires but then the heavens opened, so i thought i best not mess about with electricity in the rain. ive also nearly flattend my battery so i'm gunna wait till the weekend before tinkering again.