First Manta

Jimbob

First off I've been lurking a while so hello to all and sorry if this is the wrong category but it seemed the closest!

After riding in a Manta as a kid I've always wanted one and now seems the time! I've been looking around and found a 1.8 GT on Pistonheads It looks clean and seems like a good first Manta with potential. From what I've been reading and seeing, one of the main problems with Mantas is rot but he assures me it really is solid although that's only because of previous welding so it's not concourse there either.

I'd be glad of your opinions please!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1693617.htm

Hopefully he won't mind me linking his other pictures as available to anyone who eMails...

http://offroadlandrover.com/manta/

Thank You,

Bob.

Firstly, welcome. I hope you have many years of happy Manta ownership....it's like a disease I'm afraid...once you're bitten....

Anyway, on to the question in hand. I'm sure you'll have many many more knowledgeable people than me speak up, but in my 22 years of Manta ownership, these are the problem areas I have seen.

Battery tray.

Sills and rear arches

Chassis rails where they kick up under the front wheel arches.

Tops of front wings

Bottoms of doors (mainly inside)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but as I said, someone will come along and add to it.

TBH, I find they only tend to rust badly if they're left standing for long periods outside...

Hope this has been of help

The inner sills underneath the carpets can rot out without being seen.

The floor above the chassis rails can rot and fall into the rails and be seriously weak years before it spills out visibly enough to fail an MOT.

Of course the thick tar like sound proofing masks this if in place even with carpets up.

Door pillars under and behind the wings.

Floor above the jacking points.

Front jacking point that the tube "shifts" in when trying to raise the car.

Internal structure in the rear of the sills which should be spot welded to the sills but even if replaced rarely is.

At least you can feel this with the trim removed.

If there isn't a vertical seam in the sill about 6" along from the rear of the door sill work has been done, maybe good maybe bad.

That's some of the hidden ones.

Other than that you should inspect every inch of the car you can see too.

The floor above the chassis rails can rot and fall into the rails and be seriously weak years before it spills out visibly enough to fail an MOT.

Floor above the jacking points.

Manta88.jpg

Manta90.jpg

Manta110.jpg

Door pillars under and behind the wings.

Manta148.jpg

Closeup:

Manta149.jpg

Manta150.jpg

Just a couple of pics to demonstrate some of the points mantadoc mentions :-)

Edited by Leon

Bob, you are more than welcome to come and have a look and make your own mind up. Failing that if you would like specific pictures just ask and I'll do my best for you.

Due to previous high quality work, you'll be doing well to find a Manta more solid!

Cheers.