Fuel Catalyst

ray70

Hi there,

I've bin looking on ebay and found these FUEL CATALYST things that you drop into your fuel tank and they claim that it makes the fuel higher octane but it burns at a lower temperature and it keeps the fuel fresh plus many other things. The reason I'm looking at them is cos I have an A series Manta that runs on leaded fuel and was thinking of getting the valve seats done to run it on unleaded but this product claims that there will be no need to have that done with this item and it's garenteed for 100,000 miles. Has anybody heard of or even uses this and does it work?

Thanks Ray.

Wouldn't waste your money. How do you know its working, you don't. The first sign thats its failed to work is when your valve seats give up.

Either use a good lead additive or go for new valve seats

Andy

Edited by andyc

Hi there,

I've bin looking on ebay and found these FUEL CATALYST things that you drop into your fuel tank and they claim that it makes the fuel higher octane but it burns at a lower temperature and it keeps the fuel fresh plus many other things. The reason I'm looking at them is cos I have an A series Manta that runs on leaded fuel and was thinking of getting the valve seats done to run it on unleaded but this product claims that there will be no need to have that done with this item and it's garenteed for 100,000 miles. Has anybody heard of or even uses this and does it work?

Thanks Ray.

Ray

I agree with Andyc, a test was done on these years ago by the FBHVC along with a load of others. They endorsed a few which have their approval, usually on the bottles. Best one i found was Millers VSP. The ones your looking at had no effect at all. Prob better investing in the valve seats being done as it can work out quite expensive using the additives.

HTH

Chris

I fitted a Broquet fuel catalyst to my Manta GTE (1984) in 2003.

This was after I read various articles on tests carried out by various Motor mags. The one which decided me was a long term test carried out using three cars owned within the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA).

These tests were:- heads removed, valve seat wear measured,valve condition noted. Head replaced and vehicles run with the Broquet catalyst fitted (and no other additives used), for at least 5,000 miles (one car travelled nearly 8,000) - Head removed, seat & valve wear measured - no appreciable wear was noted.

The test lasted over a year due to the mileage reqd, this was to ensure that 'lead memory' paid little part in the tests.

As far as I know this was the only Long Term test carried out by any of the motoring organisations. The cars were (I believe)a Moggie 803 cc Minor, a Ford Prefect and a Hillman Minx - all from the 1950's.

Anyhow I have used the Broquet device since 2003 and not encountered any problems. In fact my MOT emmisions have fallen since fitment and the car averages a good 30mpg when running at 70 plus on the Mways. (anyone that knowns me knows I don't exactly 'pussyfoot' around).

No excessive valve noise, no loss of power & no pinking - without retarding the ignition for unleaded fuel.

So either I'm very lucky or the catalyst works - but I wouldn't try any others.

This is the genuine article which WAS developed for use in Merlin engines using low quality fuel in Russia, acording to the BBC's Tomorrows World Tv prog.

Others will, without fail will say it can't possibly work - but it does in my Manta - so that convinces me.

see www.broquet.co.uk and make up your own mind.

I fitted a Broquet fuel catalyst to my Manta GTE (1984) in 2003.

This was after I read various articles on tests carried out by various Motor mags. The one which decided me was a long term test carried out using three cars owned within the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA).

These tests were:- heads removed, valve seat wear measured,valve condition noted. Head replaced and vehicles run with the Broquet catalyst fitted (and no other additives used), for at least 5,000 miles (one car travelled nearly 8,000) - Head removed, seat & valve wear measured - no appreciable wear was noted.

The test lasted over a year due to the mileage reqd, this was to ensure that 'lead memory' paid little part in the tests.

As far as I know this was the only Long Term test carried out by any of the motoring organisations. The cars were (I believe)a Moggie 803 cc Minor, a Ford Prefect and a Hillman Minx - all from the 1950's.

Anyhow I have used the Broquet device since 2003 and not encountered any problems. In fact my MOT emmisions have fallen since fitment and the car averages a good 30mpg when running at 70 plus on the Mways. (anyone that knowns me knows I don't exactly 'pussyfoot' around).

No excessive valve noise, no loss of power & no pinking - without retarding the ignition for unleaded fuel.

So either I'm very lucky or the catalyst works - but I wouldn't try any others.

This is the genuine article which WAS developed for use in Merlin engines using low quality fuel in Russia, acording to the BBC's Tomorrows World Tv prog.

Others will, without fail will say it can't possibly work - but it does in my Manta - so that convinces me.

see www.broquet.co.uk and make up your own mind.

:huh::unsure::wacko:-_-

I would recommend Castrol Valvemaster, which is available from Halfords for about £12.95 a bottle. I use this in both of mine, even though one has an unleaded head on it, as it boosts the octane of the fuel and seems to give a bit more get up and go. If you are keeping the car, your best bet is to find a late head of an Exclusive which is being scrapped or have your valve seats done - it will soon pay for itself.