New User Saying Hello

fennyLET

Hello to all.

Just joined up to get some good info and idears for our Manta B GTE (Our; me and a freind went halfs on it as a little play toy) We are from Kings Lynn in Norfolk and we brought the car for the massive sum of £200 lol but had to go to Birmingham to get it.

What we have done and play to do.

When we brought the car it had been sat for 8 or 9 years with a mix of being inside and outside for that time.

So first thing we done when we got her home was free the engine up (2.0l though head cam engine) This was quite a hard task tbh. First off I took the plugs out a tiped some oil in the bores. Then i tryed to turn it over by turning the bottom pully with a breaker bar. Well i was haging off of this and it wouldnt move. My next brain wave or fart as some may think lol was to keep flicking the key untill it went. At the same time praying that the rings dont snap up. Well after afew atemps at this it finerly freed up :D

Then it was a matter of getting the beast running. This didnt take too long. Just had to replace loads of fuel line that had either perished or rusted away. So done all that, filled it up with fuel and she came to life. But only running on 3! To get her running onto all 4 took abit of time as it was a matter of trying different things like Dizzy cap, Rotoe arm, leads, plugs, compreshion ect ect. I then narrowed it donw to being a fuel problem. Turned out to be an injector. Wasnt happy about that as they are funny things really. Like nothing i had seen before. (I am only 23) so as i didnt have a spear i made a C20XE injector fit. So now it runs sweet!

We then stripped out the rear inside.

I then welded the diff up.

Then was to re do all of the fuel lines and i also fitted a ali tank i had laying about.

I have missed afew little bits like sorting some of the electrics out but....

Our first go in the car (Apart from round the yard) Was at a drift event held local. Things didnt quite go to plan when the car decided to lock up and wouldnt drive. It would free wheel but wouldnt drive.

So left the car on the trailer for a couple of weeks.

Then today i took her off and decided to have a look at what happernd. Well it turned out that my Mig spec diff didnt last. Smashing the top and bottom cogs in the diff. Afew weeks ago i did buy a new/bigger/better welder so ive given it another blast but with 200 amps insted of 90 lol

From what i can see it looks like it mite go again but not sure how long for so we will be on the look out to either replace it with the same or make one fit. Any surgestions?

The next thing is the engien. It just wasnt powerfull enough so we are going to be swopping it for either a Omega 2.5 V6 or a Saab 2.3 turbo. Ive got both engines sat there. Also because of it being a 2.0l the starter moter is in the wrong place for us to use the existing gearbox so thats another things thats going to need to be changed. But again. We are not sure what to go for. Was thinking a Omega box?

And this just about brings you all up to were we have been and were we are with the car.

Progress on it will be quite slow as it is my second project. My first love is a mk3 Astra track car that im doing.

I havent got any pics of the car at the moment but ill try and get some.

Once again. Hello to all.

Hi and welcome. I'm just down the road from you in Sutton Bridge, and work in Lynn. There's a couple of other Manta owners in the area, Simon at Browns Vehicle Engineering on Hardwick Narrows has a couple, and there's a nice GT/E hatch at Downham Market.