Manta B Gearbox Bell Housing Sealing

durdzz-suzuki-redtop

Hi all, I'm

new to the forum, I have a manta gearbox in my Suzuki Sj. It's on a redtop c20xe and iv just had to replace the thrust bearing, due to muddy water getting in through a perished clutch fork gaiter. Iv rang vauxhall, no parts available at all, I'm at abit of a loose end on what to do. I can either clean the surface and try and fix a gearstick gaiter to it and hope it works. Or I was hopeing someone else might have an idea of where to go or how to tackle the problem.

Also once the manta box is fixed to the redtop the bottom

half of the fly wheel is exposed. I quickly bodged a 2mm steel plate to cover this when I went out in it but it's not 100% effective. How else have people sealed the bell houseing/covered the fly wheel.

It's an offroad vehicle so it needs to be a good fit and I need 0% of muddy water gettin in so I'm

not changing parts all the time. I need to get it reliable now.

Mike

Yeah one of them, can u buy them? When I got my box it never came with it so I bodged something up but it never seals propperly. Then I need a clutch fork gater as well.

Iv had the box in for 3 years, ppl use them in offroad vehicles quite alot. It's part of the reason I want to carry a spare anyway. And the transfer box is takeing all the abuse, that's where I get my 4 wheel drive from.

Edited by durdzz-suzuki-redtop

The clutch cover plates have a small raised (bowed out) section at the bottom to act as a drain outlet and the top only butts up against the block flange.

I think if your going to seal the clutch from water ingress then your going to have to do a bit of home fabrication, make a clutch cover plate thats a really good fit and put it on with sealer. as for the clutch arm how about making a metal piece that surrounded the hole and was held on by small screws tapped into the bellhousing,this could hold down a gaiter that could be clamped to the clutch arm,a plate held on in a similar manner could blank the hole on the opposite side. there are also cooling ducts on the top of the bellhousing,dont know if the clutch would get too hot if these were blanked off.

The problem you have is if you blank off all the holes but not totally sucessfully particulary the ones at the top then your clutch will still fill with water but it wont drain away.

So if I fab my own clutch cover do I need to step it out like a factory one or would a flat plate be ok?

I have already thought about this. And sometimes when an offroad vehicle owner wants to stopp water getting places you pump air in to that place. Like your coil. I think if I pump air in to the bell housing and have an escape at the bottom, it cab still breath but will be blowing the water out all the time so at the flick of a switch I can turn it on to stop water getting in. The thery is there I just need to put it to test.

Thanks for your help mate that's put a few thoughts in my head now

i like that idea of pumping air into it. maybee a system on similar lines can be used to pump air into chassis legs or sills to provide a through flow of ventilation. silly thought but may keep damp & rust away.

further to your original enquiry.the standard clutch fork gaiter is only realy designed to stop excessive splash water.it is no way waterproof. even when new they only clip into place in the bellhousing.not a tight seal or anything.

I have herd of people pumping air in to there coils to keep water out, I'd imagine the od person might do it in the way I intend.

I'm not sure if that would work with stopping rust as there's moisture in the air so it still might rust over time.

My clutch fork gaitor was none existent it had just perished. I like manta mans idea though I think if I can find a hater of similar size I can fab a 2 piece bracket to hold it tight to the bell housing. Might rivet it on though. Not sure how if fix it to the arm yet though.