Hello From The Western Isles

hi folks my name is john current driving a fleet of vauxhalls old and new and have 2 manta b's

1 coupe (long term project) 1 hatch on road running c20xe which is also used for auto solos/tests

which i believe maybe be your october calender car????? can anyone confirm?

was a member before but havent posted for a while (must have been removed) so ive re-registered

'mon the scottish opels!!!

Edited by dushbag000

Hi John, und welcome tae thi forum,which isle dae yae bide. Had mi manta over on Islay a few year back and it went roond like wild fire that awe Manta wiz back in thi island :) had awe ball on the roads roond island.

rab.

Hi John, und welcome tae thi forum,which isle dae yae bide. Had mi manta over on Islay a few year back and it went roond like wild fire that awe Manta wiz back in thi island :) had awe ball on the roads roond island.

rab.

Hi Rab,

I stay on the Isle of Lewis, There are only a couple of mantas on the road up here but there is a thriving classic car scene.

hi John, welcome back to the forum...Is the hatch the one Liam competes in at the autotests ?

Aye, intrest in the old classics is growing all the time on the island. I have one of the red hatches up here ( C plate), you might have seen it about. :thumbup

Hi John,

How do you find the hatch with the XE in, copes with the autotests?

I run an autotest championship here on the Isle of Man. Been using my Mk1 Golf GTi, wondered how the Manta does? Is it competitive in a RWD class?

Do you run a standard or LS Diff?

West is best! :thumbup

John

where you near? stornaway or harris lol thats the only two places i know im ashamed to say (but the girlfriend said we are going around the islands when i get a manta). i live 40 miles north of ullapool.

I live in Stornoway, where abouts are you?? I was up around the North a couple of years ago on a classic car run with my brother in law.

hi John, welcome back to the forum...Is the hatch the one Liam competes in at the autotests ?

Aye, intrest in the old classics is growing all the time on the island. I have one of the red hatches up here ( C plate), you might have seen it about. :thumbup

Aye that's the one, I've seen your car about the town, it's a tidy looking motor!!

Hi John,

How do you find the hatch with the XE in, copes with the autotests?

I run an autotest championship here on the Isle of Man. Been using my Mk1 Golf GTi, wondered how the Manta does? Is it competitive in a RWD class?

Do you run a standard or LS Diff?

West is best! :thumbup

John

Hi, the hatch goes well with the xe, it's standard injection on it at the moment but I'm looking to try carbs with management on it to see if that will give it a bit more life. It's ok for fun at the auto tests but does not turn in to well, it's on a standard diff at the moment but looking to upgrade to a lsd to see if I can get it to steer from the rear a bit more. It's not that competitive as there are smaller more nimble cars competing but it depends on the track layout, we just go for fun anyway.

Hi, the hatch goes well with the xe, it's standard injection on it at the moment but I'm looking to try carbs with management on it to see if that will give it a bit more life. It's ok for fun at the auto tests but does not turn in to well, it's on a standard diff at the moment but looking to upgrade to a lsd to see if I can get it to steer from the rear a bit more. It's not that competitive as there are smaller more nimble cars competing but it depends on the track layout, we just go for fun anyway.

Hi John,

Sounds like what I thought it would be like. The addition of a LSD will help things and if you can add some negative camber at the front. Put the rear tyre pressure up to 55 psi.

The addition of a hydraulic hand brake would mean you could break the traction at the rear to get it sliding. Need to check the regs to see if that is allowed on your events.

I'm sourcing parts for my hatch, got the XE and R1 carbs. looking to go Megajolt to run the show.

Have fun on those events, that's what it's all about :thumbup

John

Hi John,

Sounds like what I thought it would be like. The addition of a LSD will help things and if you can add some negative camber at the front. Put the rear tyre pressure up to 55 psi.

The addition of a hydraulic hand brake would mean you could break the traction at the rear to get it sliding. Need to check the regs to see if that is allowed on your events.

I'm sourcing parts for my hatch, got the XE and R1 carbs. looking to go Megajolt to run the show.

Have fun on those events, that's what it's all about :thumbup

John

I'm also looking at megajolt/megasquirt for the management and a hydraulic handbrake is on the cards as well, I have thought about negative camber on the front but not sure of how to go about it. Any sugestions please??

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum, John. Always good to see another Manta nut from THE island on here. I've got the steel grey GTE coupe, similar colour to your own coupe project. And yes, it was me who supplied that photo of your Manta sideways at our Autotest to fjz400 for inclusion in the 2011 OMOC calendar.

Cheers,

John