Gearbox And Battery Help

MikeyRules

Hi Guys,

As some of you will know I've recently bought Steve's coupe and due to work commitments getting in the way, It's been tucked away in the garage since.

After the drive home from picking it up initially, I now have a small oil leak coming from the the seal/gasket where the gearbox bellhousing meets the engine. Now to my rusty mechanical skills (or lack of), it looks like engine oil, rather than gearbox oil?

I've dipped the oil, and it still reads full, so any ideas fellas? and should I risk the trip to billing?

Secondly the batteries gone totally flat already after only a couple of weeks without starting her up. I've got it on trickle charge currently and hoping it not fubared and will start tomorrow! Failing that any recommendations on suitable batteries? Given that I'm working up until Billing i'll have to get a Halfords jobbie more than likely...

Cheers

Mike

the battery is a 065 even halfords should have a decent one

the leak maybe coming from the crank seal,if i were you i would just drive down to billing and keep your eye on oil level.

put some white paper under the car and get a better idea were leak is

if you start worring about every little leak your car wont get used :thumbup

If its the rear main it is designed to leak a small amount of hot oil that will coat the underside of the car and prevent corrosion.

and did they design the gearbox seal to do the same....... genius idea :D

If its the rear main it is designed to leak a small amount of hot oil that will coat the underside of the car and prevent corrosion.

That must be the reason that you never ever see any rust on an Opel Mant then :unsure: and as an OMOC member wouldn't you get a better deal for a battery in a Vauxhall/Opel dealer than you would at Halfords?

Edited by Julian

Thanks guys for making me chuckle with your anti-rust stories :P

Well two nights with two different chargers and nada, nowt, and not even making a click!

So new battery in the morning, so wish me luck she starts! :blink: As for the oil leak, I'll have to have a proper butchers if I make it to Billing :rolleyes: