Manta1.8S

dog321fish

Hi

I think the cooling system holds 12 pints of fluid?

Should this be 8pts of water and 4pts of Antifreeze? or should it be a 50/50 mix?

The car will be in an unheated lock-up over the winter.

Obviously we do not know how severe this winter will be!

Any particular brand of Anti-freeze to recommend?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by dog321fish

We recently changed as part of a overhaul, and used Unipart's bluecol, poured almost all the 5l prior to topping up with water. So not sure what the actual ratio is but all seams fine. Have tested with a hydrometer and it reads -58 so I think the ratio is approx 59% anti freeze and 41% water??

Darryl

Hi

I think the cooling system holds 12 pints of fluid?

Should this be 8pts of water and 4pts of Antifreeze? or should it be a 50/50 mix?

The car will be in an unheated lock-up over the winter.

Obviously we do not know how severe this winter will be!

Any particular brand of Anti-freeze to recommend?

Cheers

Dave

Always used the blue stuff myself, never the red but thats prob cos my dad never did, been told the new pink coloured stuff is for full alloy engines and is designed to be changed less frequently.

Another thing is i was reading up on antifreeze mixes as i was told by someone that a stronger mix gives better cooling. Came across an article on the web ( just put in search of anti freeze mix ratio ) was actually about light aircraft engines but they are virtually the same. One guy was running 50/50 mix (i think) and had problems with high running temps, they reduced the mix and to about 25% and dropped the running temps by about 15 degrees. The outcome is run as little as you can for the best cooling, anti freeze is thicker and its cooling properties are not as good as pure water.

Worth a read if you can find it.

HTH

Chris