Manta A Help Wanted

Hi Ant

You need any help locating bits for your a just PM me as i have changed about every part on mine :-) so should be able to help out with places to get bits and have some second hand bits left, mostly the smaller parts.

How much work does yours need doing to it?

Andy

Hi Ant

You need any help locating bits for your a just PM me as i have changed about every part on mine :-) so should be able to help out with places to get bits and have some second hand bits left, mostly the smaller parts.

How much work does yours need doing to it?

Andy

Thanks Andy, the main things i need next is a back seat, a carpet and all the window seals, not small parts i know. i had some welding done on it and a few other bits and bobs last september. it went like a top on the pembrokeshire county run (appart from one hilarious moment when the throttle stuck open) then went to bed in november and hasn't been out since. needs the throttle cable replacing and the steering rack gaitors and it should be good to go.

the dipstick occasionally pops out at high revs, do you have any ideas why that might be happening?

i'm looking forward to getting back out in it as soon as i have time to do the jobs but my six month old takes up most of that.

Hey Ant

I think i have a set of new steering rack gaiters sat around in the garage if you want them? you might find it hard to get the carpet unless you can find one on german ebay or someone to make one? If you use google chrome to look on www.ebay.de it will do the translation for you :-) when you say window seals, do you mean the main front and back ones? as i think Opel GT source do them in the states, but there not cheap. Dr manta (google it and you will find the site easy) has lots of stuff but all the german stuff is pricy!

The a series is great to drive, when mine was running we took a couple of trips down to germany to see the tourning cars in hockenhiem and nuerburg, and it was a great drive there and back and only had one slight mishap, which was leaving the interior light on (and i think i must have had every spare part i could in the boot just in case :-)

I would suggest getting on with sorting the car out now as i took mine off the road for a rebuild 8 years ago and my daughter in now 7 1/2! i got loads done in the first year ;-) now i have more time as she wants to go clothes shopping with her mum and not me so i get some peace to do a bit on it. She calls it the old broken car in the garage! i hope to get it all running for Billing at the end of july as its the 30th vaux/opel meet. But i think it will be a bit close as still loads to do.

with your dipstick problem, it could just be that its worn and doesn't stay in as well as it should, if you look it has a raised ring which is the bit that should be tight in there. i got a re-made one from splendid parts in germany. worst case is you could have a bit of engine wear that your getting a bit of extra pressure build up in the sump. im not a expert on engines, but a post in the tech section will get you some answers.

Andy

thanks andy, i'd like to go to billing at some point, but not this year as i've to much on, i studied in northampton so know the area well. i managed to get a pair of gaitors off ebay a month or two ago but am a bit reluctant to do it just yet as i,m worried what else i might find.

i take your point about the dipstick i will try and get a seal for it.

all its window seals are perished to some extent so will need to do them all at some stage. part of the problem is the car is about a mile from the house in a storage shed so its hard to just nip out a do jobs on it, still cant complain as at least its in the dry.

thanks again for your advice.