Carburettor Problems. Any Ideas?

h0tr0dder_uk

Hey all. Im hoping you can help guide me with a problem Im trying to solve. There is a new member on here (regaladojasmine) from San Diego (Like me) that has just bought an A series. Unfortunately it wont run now. I went to take a look and managed to get it started by spraying engine starter down the carb. The car would stall as soon as it used up this fluid though. We pulled off the fuel line and its pumping fuel through ok, So my thoughts are that its either bad fuel or a carb problem. Easiest to try first is draining the tank (which she is going to get done) and try with fresh fuel. On my way home though I was wondering if it could be a simple problem with a vacuum line or the auto choke or something? Any ideas?

Also would it be worth rebuilding the carb (if needed) or simply change it for a brand new one (I want this person to have a reliable car).

Im not very good with carbs as Im a fuel injection guy at heart :D

The first thing i'd think of is the carb is blocked with dirt, needle valve, jets etc, if you can get a rebuild kit, take it apart, clean it and put it together with new seals etc.

when you refit the carb put a fuel filter in the fuel pipe, prehaps between the fuel pump and carb so as the fuel pump doesn't struggle to suck fuel from the tank, that way if there is muck in the tank you only have to clean out/replace a filter not rebuild the carb all the time.

Hey all. Im hoping you can help guide me with a problem Im trying to solve. There is a new member on here (regaladojasmine) from San Diego (Like me) that has just bought an A series. Unfortunately it wont run now. I went to take a look and managed to get it started by spraying engine starter down the carb. The car would stall as soon as it used up this fluid though. We pulled off the fuel line and its pumping fuel through ok, So my thoughts are that its either bad fuel or a carb problem. Easiest to try first is draining the tank (which she is going to get done) and try with fresh fuel. On my way home though I was wondering if it could be a simple problem with a vacuum line or the auto choke or something? Any ideas?

Also would it be worth rebuilding the carb (if needed) or simply change it for a brand new one (I want this person to have a reliable car).

Im not very good with carbs as Im a fuel injection guy at heart :D

What carb is it weber or solex or something else???

Chris

Edited by lamchop77

Just take the top off the carb (4-6 screws). When its open you can see the floater. The floater should move freely (float on gasoline in the resevoir) and this is the most common error on carbs. Also you should check the shut off valve placed on the underside of the carb lid you have just removed. This should also move freely and should be easy to activate just by pushing with a finger.

If the resevoir and floater chamber is dry one of the 2 above mentioned things are amiss.

You should check up on the brand of the carb. Is it a varajet 2 you should go find a weber or solex instead. Weber and Solex carbs function great so it would definatly be worth restoring.thumbsup.gif

If looking down the carb with choke flap open, if there is fuel in the float chamber working the throttle will cause the accelerator pump to squirt fuel in visibly.....

I seem to remember using a foot pump in the fuel inlet to blow the needle valve through on more than one occasion but do not do this it is a bad idea. No warranty implied or given

I have the same problem. The Manta B has been in storage for about 6 years. Carb is a Varajet. We drained the tank, changed fuel filter and cleaned the carb inside and out. Fuel pump work fine. Now the car starts and idles albeit erratic. But when you try to rev the engine it stalls. Are we missing something?

If it is a varajet you should take it of the car, set it on fire and pee on the ashes. Those carbs are utter shite! Really! Go get a weber or solex instead.

If you decide to go with the varajet anyways (trust me you will regret it!) you are looking at a dryed out accelerator membrane, + all the small activator arms around the carb is propably stuck and as many of them are vacuum activated its difficult to find out what works and what doesnt. Even if you succeed in getting it working there will be so much slack in the actuatorarms that it will never ever run good.

Edited by monzta

It looks to be the standard carb so im guessing a solex (with some kind of auto choke). opelgtsource sells a direct bolt on weber that im guessing will be much better than stock?

Yeah i'd always go with a weber, tend to give a bit more power in my experiance and be more reliable. I'd also ditch the auto choke as well. :thumbup

chris