Fitting Commodore Front Hubs to Ascona/Manta B

ASCONA-HOLIC

Hi to everyone. As title writes, I want to ask what I need to fit Commodore front hubs (5x120) to Ascona/Manta B. As far as I know, I need other bearings than the original Ascona/Manta B - does anyone already know which bearings are needed? Is any extra machining needed?

After having already fitted a pair of TJM hubs (and they were really good) in another Ascona B, I am now trying to fit the Commodore hubs, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

My Monza hubs had some material taken out from the inner and outer bearing areas and spacers made to fit and sweated in so that they use standard manta races and bearings 

If I remember you have to be careful not to remove too much material from the landing area under the old bearing race seat 

it was 15 years ago. 

Edited by Kevin Abbott

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your answers guys. I have a basic question, as I try to avoid any sleeves or rings and extra machining. So I have the commodore hubs and the standard manta/ascona stubs. So, the new bearings should have the inner diameter of the standard manta/ascona bearing, so as to fit the standard stubs, and the outer diameter of the commodore bearings, so as to fit commodore hubs, and the width of commodore hubs. So, are there any bearings with these dimensions? After some measurements I found the following dimensions - and please correct me if anything is wrong.

Standard manta/ascona: Small bearing: inner dia (ID) 17mm, outer di (OD) 40mm, width (W) 15mm - Big bearing: ID 29mm, OD 50mm, W 15mm

Commodore: Small bearing: ID 19.1mm, OD 45.2mm, W 16.7mm - Big bearing: ID 32mm, OD 60mm, W 17mm

So, I need to combine the dimensions and find the suitable bearing, is this correct? Has anyone done it already? Any help is well appreciated.

Thanks!

In March 2007 I spoke to TJM on Chevettes.com about having some Chevette / Kadett / Manta hubs with 5 stud 400 fixing derived from the alloy Chevette hubs  he sold, and they have been available on here since Valentines day 2008 http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/17382-alloy-hubs/?page=1 though you need a batch and I am not sure if a current group buy is in progress.

Did you fit the 5 stud version and want something more original?

Ford P100 Sierra  / Cortina ones have been modified in the past, either ford 5 Stud or rotated and redrilled and IIRC without getting a set out of the shed 50 miles away they went straight on the stub axle but may need a washer behind the bearing or the inner side facing off or maybe just lose the backing plate shields.

IIRC other old stuff correctly there was something about commodore knuckles and steering arms reshaped and used backwards but the ball joint taper was different

Edited by mantadoc

In March 2007 I spoke to TJM on Chevettes.com about having some Chevette / Kadett / Manta hubs with 5 stud 400 fixing derived from the alloy Chevette hubs  he sold, and they have been available on here since Valentines day 2008 http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/17382-alloy-hubs/?page=1 though you need a batch and I am not sure if a current group buy is in progress.

Maybe that helps.

Thanks mantadoc, I know the TJM hubs and I have already fitted a pair of them on another ascona and everything works fine. However, I actually want to do know is to fit the Commodore hubs to the standard manta/ascona b stubs.

Thanks mantadoc, I know the TJM hubs and I have already fitted a pair of them on another ascona and everything works fine. However, I actually want to do know is to fit the Commodore hubs to the standard manta/ascona b stubs.

Well I think the answer is as the folks have given on sleeving the stub axle. However, as I understand it that is not replicating the original setup so you could be putting a lot of effort in which won't give more originality, of course your reason may be just for the technical challenge.

You may find reference to "Marina into Minor" handy, unrelated but in that they machined a new stub axle press fit into the steering knuckle instead of sleeving. Not a recommendation but maybe a parallel that may inspire

My first post was also updated while you were typing your reply, some bits in there may or may not help too

Well I think the answer is as the folks have given on sleeving the stub axle. However, as I understand it that is not replicating the original setup so you could be putting a lot of effort in which won't give more originality, of course your reason may be just for the technical challenge.

You may find reference to "Marina into Minor" handy, unrelated but in that they machined a new stub axle press fit into the steering knuckle instead of sleeving. Not a recommendation but maybe a parallel that may inspire

My first post was also updated while you were typing your reply, some bits in there may or may not help too

Thanks again mantadoc. Well the main reason is indeed the technical challenge and my preference to use straight forward replacement bearings instead of machining the stub axle, I consider it easier, provided that appropriate bearings (of the correct dimensions) do exist.

• 2 weeks later...