Another Scottish member from Ayrshire

Bonga

Wanted one for a wee while. Viewed one last night and going back for it early next week one I get my garage cleared out.

Bought a manta B hatch with 2.0 xe. Looks solid enough previous owner is a panel beater (convenient) and done a fair bit of welding. Needs a bit of work inside as it's pretty tatty. 

1st thing that needs done is the brakes. Was thinking of a rear disc conversion and upgrading the fronts.

This is my 1st project and hoping to learn ad I go along. Love cars but never really worked on them as I make my living as a sparky (now off the tools). Hoping other members will be abe to steer me in the right direction with the manta.

Billy

Stay in crookedholm just outside kilmarnock.

Did u used to have a blue corsa b with the private plate same as your user name? I'm sure av seen the plate kicking around ayr from back in my "doon the shore" days 😀

Front disc conversion, might be worth speaking to Mantasrme on the forum as he was making kits a while back from Audi vented front discs, redrilled and centre bore opened and Astra/Calibra 52/24 Calipers. You can use Volvo 4 pots with Carlton discs but most people are moving away from that setup.

Rear calipers there are different types as well but I think mine are XR3 front discs and Sierra 1.8/2.0 litre rear calipers and carriers, using the handbrake cable from the Serria.

I can email you some pictures if you require, if so PM me your email address.

• Like 1

I like the sound of the kits. I'll message mantasrme later. I'll send through my email you can send the pics through when u have time...no rush but the xr3 setup sound cost effective and should be loads better than the standard setup what brakes do you use on the front of yours?

I have the set up Mantasrme did on the front. Audi Vented and 52/24 Calipers. The good thing is if you get the correct Audi discs is they don't need spacers so the whole kit was nearly plug and play. The only thing that you have to worry about is the pipe to the caliper might need to change as the caliper has a sort of keyway on it. I have gone down the Dot 5 brake fluid route as I completely renewed all my brake lines and master cylinder.

With the master cylinder (I think it depends on which one you have) you have to remove the restricting valve/ball bearing to the rear brakes if fitting rear discs, as it can cause your rear brakes to stay on. I know this as it happened to me and I ended up losing two centre caps to my revolution wheels due to heat

I will send you an email got your PM, as It is easier to upload pictures than on the forum, only due to size of files.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bonga said:

Stay in crookedholm just outside kilmarnock.

Did u used to have a blue corsa b with the private plate same as your user name? I'm sure av seen the plate kicking around ayr from back in my "doon the shore" days 😀

Aye mate that would be me.

Cool. Aye that's me. Just picked it up last night, was cutting out on tge way doon the road. Got a few things to do before I take it back out. Might manage out a few times before I put it away for winter tha. So many things I want but need to get the essentials done 1st!