Is a subframe required for an engine swap?

Nik Pap

Evening fellas hope you all are doing well and good. My project is a 1978 opel manta with a 1.2 L engine and a 4 speed transmission. Recently I found a classified ad for a donor manta with a 2.2 opel engine (the classic fuel injection one you see in almost all these 2.2 mantas I think the motor is from a kadet though I'm not sure)a getrag 5 transmission and a 9:33 differential. All exactly what I want to put into my car. So since money is indeed an issue I would like to ask any of you here who surely have more experience than me. Would I need a whole new subframe for this engine swap or can the new motor be dropped in without any of perhaps some modifications to the original subframe?

Thank you in advance for any and all answers

someone more knowlegeable will be along to advise more but if the manta 1.2 model compares with the cav 1.3 models then there are some subtle differences. the subframe is essentially the same but i seem to remember different engine mounting brackets / position or angles ?

obviously you would need front springs suitable for the heavier cih engine .

cih brake discs and calipers

different gearlever tunnel hole 

different gearbox crossmember and possibly locations on shell altering ?

different rear axle c/w the larger rear brakes.

Different gear lever hole as in the location of the gear shifter changes? And I hate to second guess you but are you sure cause I've seen that the getrag 5 gearbox didn't require any modifications to the shell of the car. If it does then that sucks cause I wouldn't want to get rid of the iconic center console inside the car

it depends .on an early b if you are changing from a 4 to a 5 speed the hole is definately in the wrong place and you would rivet in the correct section from a 5 speed car. on a cav 1.3 the location is further back so may not necesarily need moving ( not sure how that compares to a manta 1.2 as we dont see many of them here ) maybee you will be ok .

best google some interior pics comparing cav/ manta 4 speed vs 5 speed or someone should be able to give you some measurements from the distance from the dash to gearlever ?

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

it depends .on an early b if you are changing from a 4 to a 5 speed the hole is definately in the wrong place and you would rivet in the correct section from a 5 speed car. on a cav 1.3 the location is further back so may not necesarily need moving ( not sure how that compares to a manta 1.2 as we dont see many of them here ) maybee you will be ok .

best google some interior pics comparing cav/ manta 4 speed vs 5 speed or someone should be able to give you some measurements from the distance from the dash to gearlever ?

Thanks a lot mate I hadn't thought of that 🫡

Probably better measuring from the back forward. Hoob at back seat, or hole punched for centre console, as long as hole is same position? Think there is a universal screw hole close to handbrake.

Does the handbrake swap sides for LHD and RHD? 

Ideally a 5sp shell without carpet and console fitted. Photo or measured. 

34 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Probably better measuring from the back forward. Hoob at back seat, or hole punched for centre console, as long as hole is same position? Think there is a universal screw hole close to handbrake.

Does the handbrake swap sides for LHD and RHD? 

Ideally a 5sp shell without carpet and console fitted. Photo or measured. 

I will do that as soon as I have the time and update y'all within the next fee days thanks a lot friend