1980 2.0 Coolant flush

Kr1s

Hi

I'm thinking I should replace the coolant as the car has been standing for 30 years.

I can see what I think is the drain plug on the block - at least I can see one that matches the Haynes description of being "behind the exhaust pipe and manifold".

It looks a total pig to get a spanner on, but also doesn't look like there's much room to get it out with the exhaust in situ unless it's very short.

Does anyone know whether this job is possible without disconnecting the exhaust from the manifold?

As always, many thanks in advance!

Chris

PXL_20240525_123536702.jpg

I'm not at all sure that is the right bolt, as I think it's too low and it has a counterpart on the other side.

I also have a vague recollection of reading somewhere on here that there isn't a drain plug on the 2.0 block - I'm wondering whether that is an upgrade from the 1.9 design referred to in Haynes.

hard to tell on the photo but it looks like you are looking at the oil pressure sender . not sure if there is a drain as such or wether you will  need it anyway . removing the hoses and flushing with a hose should be all you need . maybe putting some flushing solution through the system first if you have a watertight and running engine 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I agree with C.I.H, you’re looking at the adapter for oil sender there. The plug is not far but don’t bother trying to get to that block drain. Just go with a pressure flush using hose back through the Heater matrix front hose and lots of fresh water(don’t forget to remove the stat !)  Then use a good modern anti-freeze.

You can see the water outlet on the pic attached 

IMG_1079.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The cubic block at the top of the picture is the oil pressure sender adapter isn't it?

But in any case, the bolt I first thought is not the correct one.

I will follow the advice given - thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kr1s said:

The cubic block at the top of the picture is the oil pressure sender adapter isn't it?

But in any case, the bolt I first thought is not the correct one.

I will follow the advice given - thank you!

Yes Sorry, I should have said that on the earlier engines that's its location, just used as an outlet on the later engines.

cih_block.png

• Like 1