what yall think

bought this last year from weymouth , stripped it down a bit found loads of rust on the floor but chassis is solid and rear arches are good an free from filler well the whole back end is good ,so im gonna save it , got a xe lump to put in too

05-06-16171937.jpg

05-06-17184946.jpg

05-06-17185305-1.jpg

05-06-17185337.jpg

05-06-17185222.jpg

well spotted thats my next project a 73 chevy caprice 6.6l

05-06-16171817.jpg

getting the lowrider treatment air suspension wire wheels candy paint etc , im hoping the manta will give me enough confidence to take this mutha on

yeah its the 400 ci the trans am used (orange block),sounds superb with the straight through cherry bomb exhausts,gives the neighbours something moan about when i fire up at 6:oo sunday mornings b4 i go to shows

Nah! putting a lump like that in the Manta would ruin the Manta's excellent inherent handling qualities, however a tuned 5.0 Rover V8 would be the best route, 20lbs lighter or 20kg lighter than the original engine.

Roof is a bit of a bad area on that snake eyes, I was faced with a bad roof myself once upon a time, and had the notion to cut it all out and create a Targa top.

My advice would be to tackle a bit at a time, you prob know yourself that when a car is stripped it takes a lot of storing (of the stripped parts) and the task ahead can look a bit daunting, but by doing, say, the pass floorpan, then the inner wing footwell area, chassis rail, jacking point, and any sill area. you have done a quarter of the car, and the job never looks so bad then.[:(]

thats the only way i can get my head round it one step at a time aint even thought about the roof , dont think i will either , but i suppose by the time ive welded up the rest of it i might be good enough to tackle it , but probly pass that one to some one else ,depends on how the rest turns out? was going to use as a track day car but if repairs are good enough will make it more for the road

got the xe motor to go in how much lighter is it than the cam in lead? cam in dead engine

Those last Exclusives do look nice in white.

That's classic Exclusive rust too, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Joe.

Please remember to log in to this site from the home page. It helps it to be first on the list when you type in 'Manta' in search engines, and there's some good stuff on there too.

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

.....Roof is a bit of a bad area on that snake eyes, I was faced with a bad roof myself once upon a time, and had the notion to cut it all out and create a Targa top....

id="quote">id="quote">

what did you do in the end Clive ?

OMOC 5885

had the grinder out (like most of us ) all seen this before what im wanting to hear is , ive seen /repaired worse , ill let pics speak for themselves DSC00117.jpg

DSC00120-1.jpg

aint got a clue how to repair this bit DSC00119.jpg

still worth it ?

I would have said cut out some rot and repair it and then cut out some more and repair that. If you chop it all out in one go the shell will be a bit floppy.

If you want an exclusive it seems you have to expect this kind of rot. the other option is to buy a better b series shell (made of better steel) and transfer all of the parts.

hi snake eyes, you,ve got your work cut out thier mate, hope your gonna see the job throu and not give up half way throu, is that a new front end or is it just black, does any one read a mag called pratical perfofmance car its got a manta coupe powered by a jag 4.0 ltr six in it with getrag 5 spd box (jag one that is not a manta one), owner david patrick[?] any one know him its got a 400 kit and he rallies it, one tip for your chassis is you could drill a couple of small holes in it top and bottom so you can fill with wax from a can with a pump on it and sillicone up the holes under the bonnet wear the chassis comes up under the boulkhead and along the inner wings one hole each side againts boulkhead good luck mate[:)]

gary

quote:can you weld metal which still has paint on it ?
id="quote">id="quote">

You could with an arc welder[:D][:D]

Wire cup brush in a grinder I find to be the weapon of choice for cleaning up in prep for welding, will remove paint, underseal and rust[;)]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way