C530 PRX 400 R Track Car

Big B i200

Many thanks! She looks bad!

Got my calibra calipers the other day. The outer rims for the compomotives are being polished at the moment. Once I get the wiring has been sorted that will be a real milestone in getting her back on the road.

Cant wait to complete the circuit of holcombe hill!

initiald.gif

1986 Manta 400 Replica with Carlton GSI 24V running gear

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update.

The car is now at Micks.

The extremely bad wiring has been stripped out and replaced with a fresh loom. The majority of the carlton engine loom is ok and just needed a few wires replacing.

An oil pressure guage was previously fitted but had nowhere to go so this has been ingeniously fitted in the air vent. An ecu warning light will also be fitted on the dash.

Mick has said the wiring is the worst he has ever seen on a manta. Im glad its gone. There was bare wires, wires in the engine bay with nowhere to go.

A new fuel pump mount will needed to be fitted. The current fuel pump turned out to be an uprated pump with a higher output. For some reason the fuel filter is missing so that will be done aswell. A shorter throttle cable has been fitted. A new clutch cable, adjusted correctly via the bellhousing fork. Also discovered the clutch plate is a heavy duty techniclutch stage 1 item.

The hoses arrangement in the engine is a mess so, a new header tank will be fitted on the drivers side freeing room at the front of the engine. The old astra gte rad is being binned and is going to be replaced with a thick core alloy pace radiatior with a 16" kenlowe fan controlled via thermostat.

The old crappy engine hoses will be replaced aswell. Im sure some other things will be done but cant remember the rest.

Newmanta9.jpg

Newmanta7.jpg

Newmanta10.jpg

Newmanta8.jpg

newmanta3.jpg

newmanta2.jpg

newmanta.jpg

rambo.jpg

OMOC 5997

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mick. Got some more pics of my rally slag

manta.jpg

manta2.jpg

manta3.jpg

Hurrah! a working manta dashboard!!!!

004.jpg

OMOC 5997

Many thanks Mick, most of the issues are sorted now. Its just a case of uprating the parts now.

004.jpg

OMOC 5997

glad you got the pics mike ive got some more to send but computor wouldnt play!! nice to see my garage floor again i thought it had welded its self to the concrete its been there so long... and what a pleasure to take it down the B4100 at err national speed limit [;)] its gotta be chipped it would leave my 2x 24v,s standing or it just feels faster? it certainly got some looks when i took it out though and made driving a manta on a nice sunny morning one hell of a grin factor and other drivers wondering what the hell it was coming up in there rear view mirrors..

OMOC 1133 MIDLANDS AREA REP (AGAIN!!)

WITH 2X 24V HATCH,S

I cannot wait to drive it. I would like to see it on a rolling road to whether its over or under the standard power.

One of kevs mate reckons the car has a chipped ecu and a gas flowed head. Whether this is still the case or has been changed like the LSD axle I dont know. I can imagine all the confused looks LOL. People thinking, is it a jap import???

Or it could be a combination of fibreglass bonnet, arches, race clutch and all the soundproofing stripped. I recall driving it back from the previous owner, at the time I was in such awe, nothing worked on the car and it was so rough. Ten miles later a jubilee clip came off the radiator hose and spilled out the water. Stopped in a puff of steam, I had to join the AA up on the spot. At that point I though s**t what have I gone and bought. If it wasnt for the people in the omoc I would have never got this far.

I originally bought the car to do track days, I didnt want to use my suzuki in case I damaged it. ive spent so much on the car getting it this good, Im starting to worry taking it out in case someone has a collision.

[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

004.jpg

OMOC 5997

Ive just got off the phone from the guy who Sean Richards sold the car to in 2000. He told me a no. of guages in the bmw dash didnt work. The revolution wheels were on the car when it was sold, which supports my claim that the guy who sold me the guy took them off and sold it separately.

The bonnet only had the 2 pins at the front, the hinges worked fine and it was supported by struts on either side. Not the 4 pins and chopped hinges I have.

The engine was replaced around 2002 and had 60000 miles on the clock, the manta was only taken out on the road from April to October and then garaged the rest of the time.

The rear spoiler was an irmscher item, it isnt now its a fibreglass spoiler. Front and rear bearings, halfshafts were replaced, the axle does indeed have a limited slip diff, so need to check that out.

Interior was swapped from the tartan type in the retro mag to grey interior.

All the stereo and alarmed system wasnt on it when I got it. From what the man said it did sound like it was taken care off. I believe the guy who I got the car off has just used it to abused on the quarter mile and tried to skimp on it.

004.jpg

OMOC 5997

1986 Manta 400 Replica with Carlton GSI 24V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSU1Lvxy9Skrunning gear

that is looking very nice from those pics

shame it got into such a condition before - but i guess the previous owner was only enjoying it. would have been just as much of a waste if it'd sat i a garage doing nothing

i'm guessing you know how to check to see if it's an LSD?

jack the back up, spin a wheel and if the other turns the same way then you've got yourself a slippy diff, W'hoo!!

newsig.jpg

Thanks. I dont have the car at the moment but Mick will check it for me. Ive jacked the car up before, let off the handbrake and turned one wheel, the wheel on the other side moves but in the opposite direction and not in the same direction, so I assumed it was removed.

004.jpg

OMOC 5997

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I took the car to college to get it up on the ramps, changed gearbox and diff oil. There must have only been about 100ml of old oil in the gearbox it was that old, and the diff was very low.

The car sounds much better when idling and no noise is coming from the release bearing. The gear change is much smoother and quicker.

Next week ill try and locate where the engine is leaking oil.

004.jpg

OMOC 5997