1977 Manta B project

mickappy

aaawwwwwhhhh.........Was hoping for some pics of this machine[:(]

You have to use a web hosting service like photobucket as mickappy says, the way you've done it you're the only one that can see the pics[:D].

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

see when you're in your photobucket account, look at he pic you want to display, copy the contents from the last box and paste into your listing. will display the pic on the listing instead of the link[;)]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

quote:Originally posted by Glenn Thorpe

Well here goes hope its not more than I can manage..

id="quote">id="quote">

It will be. Why not cut your losses and sell it to me instead? I'll even throw in a two seater leather sofa, how about it?

MY PRECIOUSid="size6">

newbana.jpg

CHECKOUT MY V8 VIDEO HERE http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djuq2xoCp1E

Well maybe not.

What are your plans for this Glenn, keeping it completely original, manual box conversion at all? What's happening with the 8 track, could be an idea to wire up a modern CD/MP3 player in the glovebox and keep the 8 track in place to look original and nostalgic? Another idea I saw on an episode of 'pimp my ride' of all things, one bloke took an 8 track tape and fitted a circuit board with an ipod plug on the back so you could listen to mp3's through the 8 track.

Whatever your plans at least it's pretty obvious the value of early B's have appreciated somewhat. Have you tried putting this beasty through an MOT yet?

newbana.jpg

Keep lurking Rick you never know, it really is something new for me.

My plan is to make it as original as possible and to have it some time as a car for occasional use & shows. So no plans to change gearbox. I like the sound of the ipod tho

Do you think retaining original paint where panels are good is a better investment than a good full repaint?

G

Glenn

quote:Do you think retaining original paint where panels are good is a better investment than a good full repaint
id="quote">id="quote">

No, You'll never sucessfully match colour and shade.

It really depends on how good you want the car, the original paint will most likely be celli, which dulls in time, your car has had what, 30 years of sunlight? Even using a spectrum analyser to get the colour right it will still look different as the original will be dull. You'll get it right and good this way tho but you'll sheel out for the service.

Now, the other point is that even tho your panel looks good, have a really close look and I mean every inch of it, if you see things that look like tiny worms under the paint thats rust starting so you'll want to sand back and get rid.

If you want the car good it would be hard to imaging that any original panel 30 years on will have no rust, no scratches and no dents.

all depends on how good you want it really but I personally wouldnt entertain a blow in job (ooooh er[:I]).

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

As per Gunman, you will be shocked what is under that paint, the amount of little tracks and rust spots you hoestly will not believe.

times I have looked at this little topic and was watching this car on Ebay.

Forunately for me I know what lies under those chrome arch trims, (hence I thought this went for far too much money and did not bid) especially the ones on the rear, upon removing them you may well find the arch comes off with them, but only the section that is under the trim itself, don't ask me how they don't corrode any further but they don't.

Other typical B series areas will be the inner wing/A pillar/footwell area that will be corroded.

And lower rear arch towards the boot end of the car, these always seem to be quite bad.

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

I saw from another topic that you were looking for a pair of quater panels for this and looking at the pics its nowhere near bad enough for that. you can get arch repair sections for about £25 each. With the price of full panles things have to be pretty bad to warrant such an expense.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Ditto with the paint. It'll pay for you to strip all the exterior trim, get the seats and carpet out and start poking around the underside just so you know exactly how much corrosion you're dealing with. I noticed the seller of this car was saying that the underside is 'rust free' but from the photos he sent me this was not the case, though it's hard to judge if it's surface rust from pictures.

Shame about the ripped seats (that's something the seller neglected to say in the listing) I really like the early B interiors 'cos of the black with a chrome stripe looks a lot more retro than the manta interiors I'm used to. You maybe able to get away with a set of black later berlinetta seats, unless of course you're handy with embroidery.

Just a tip, if you want to run this on unleaded, try to find a 2.0 GTE head I'm pretty certain it'll be a staight swap, just not sure on the inlet and if you need to have hydraulic followers or not?

newbana.jpg