cam kits

huw

You can get cam kits from Kent , Piper, Cat cams and Dbilas.

234 Kent kit is a good one for the 2.0 if you want a "warm" road motor. With 40's and and 45mm inlet valves should get you up to about 155 bhp with a std manifold and 2" exhaust. 244 is a better cam but they don't do that as a kit so you have to buy separate, plus you'll need to pocket the pistons for the extra lift and getb bigger carbs/injection.

Piper stuff is ok but i prefer Kent cams.

Cat Cams products are really good but expensive, don't know what your planning or what your budget is!!

DBilas have got a massive range but only deal through Regal Motorsport. I rang them 4/5 times and got the "We'll ring you back" which they never did so i've sacked them off.

Autosprint in Birmingham will grind a cam for you and can supply followers, springs etc. Geoff has got quite a few different profiles. Give him a ring and have a chat, really good bloke to deal with.

In have got a few differnet cams knocking about, 214,234 Kent and a PMC 3 which i think is a 276 duration. It was fitted to their 150 bhp motors. There all second hand but in decent nick. PM me if want.

HTH

Chris

You coud use the 214 in place of a std 1.9 unit. It's classed as a fast road cam for the 2.0. If the capacity increases then the effct of the cam is softened and vice versa. So in a 1.9 it should be a slightly faster fast road cam if you get my drift. Allthe kent cams are meant to fit all the CIH heads. I do have a 1.9 ported head so i can check for you. I think the 214 would be the best for you because kent list it as no mods needed. The 234 does sometimes just touch the piston tops so pocketing the pistons is needed.

You would need valve springs and followers and the spacers to replace the rotobearing on the exhaust valve for a correct installation. You could fit with the standard kit but i wouldn't recommend it. Ring Geoff Dodd at Autosprint in Birmingham he seems to get this sort of stuff at the right price.

Price for the 214, how does 25 quid plus postage sound.

Thanks

Chris

Cat Cams products are really good but expensive, don't know what your planning or what your budget is!!

When I asked a price on a catcam a year or so ago I was told 144.20 + vat.. Course you need new lifters with that but they aren't hugely expensive.

opelgtsource.com have cams that aren't extortionate, tho I have no idea on what they are like.

Followers need to be replaced at same time as cam, as worn lifters will wear out your new cam in a few thousand miles. Springs also age, and its easier to replace everything in one go, including seals, while head is off...

awsome bit of info cheers lads. pm u in abit lamchop77. Think the 2.0 i got puts out 110 hp (read somewhere), wouldnt mind getting it upto about 150 hp. Does u recon theres any point pushin it a bit more.

I'll get back to you later about your PM.

What I have is a couple of reworked heads, one with the 214 cam, and also a 254 cam knocking about. All depends on what your intentions are for it, and YOUR style of driving on the road. Lots of folk say you can't use this or that, but different driving styles mean you just can!

I'll get in touch later. :thumbup

Huw

What set up are you running, carbs or injection? If your running injection then you'll have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get the injection to give any big power. Most guys i've spoke to about this just junk the system and go to carbs or throttle bodies. Realistically 150 bhp seems to be the top figure with the std injection with an adjustable pressure reg.

I have a 2.0 motor with a totally std bottom end,2.0 head with slight porting (just a smooth up really), 45mm inlet valves, 234 cam,vernier timing gear, 40 dellortos and a std exhaust manifold / downpipe to a 2.5" home made exhaust system. This engine produced 157bhp and was pretty quick. If the flywheel had been replaced with a lightweight steel job and had the bottom end lightened and balenced it would have revved up a lot quicker.

This is a good road set up because it does pull from low down and remains tractable. Also i used the std clutch with this motor and it was fine. Did a 2.2 motor with a 244 cam and that wrecked clutches for fun. If you have a small budget stick with the 234 set up cos you can stick with the std components, otherwise your going to have to start getting stuff modded.

HTH

Chris

Ianmc

You need to replace the followers because , as has been mentioned, worn ones will wear out the cam. The springs that are used with the kent cams are a different poundage to std. This is to stop the valves bouncing off their seats when the revs get up high, and to cope with the quicker lift that uprated cams have. If you use the std springs then the valves will probably bounce off their seats.

HTH

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

regarding the injection system, after fitting new valves, springs, is there any point in uprating injectors or would it over fuel to much? I think std ones run at 3 bar, but not sure how to set it up. Want to fit a higher pressure pump, regualtor but what injector would be good?

would i have to adjust the regualator to the same pressure thats the fuel is under or a bit over? Wierd question but cant get my ed round it.

Huw

You don't need to uprate your pump or change the injectors for the cam change that your doing (i assume a 234 kent cam or similar). All you need to do is fit an adjustable fuel reg. The pumps run to around 3.5bar but are restricted by the std reg to a lower pressure. If you increase the pressure more fuel will be forced through the injector as it still opens for the same amount of time. This only works to a certain point, any higher pressure and the injectors stick, at that point you need to think of fitting larger ones.

This works to a max of 150, possibly 160bhp (PMC used std injectors on the 150spec engines). I would get your injectors checked or get refurbed ones and fit the adjustable reg. You will need to get the fuel system set up on a rolling road. If you don't the fuelling will be out and you won't get the full benefit from fitting the cam.

HTH

Chris