Something Completely Mad...

johnw

So here I am sitting with a nice little A series and a rover V8 ready(kinda) to go in, but I keep having these thoughts that the front windscreen is just way to big and up right... So, I start getting frankenstien thoughts of chopping the roof, not a convertible, just making the roof a little lower...

I/m thinking of taking maybe two or three inches out of the A pillar, and then taking a triangular slice out of the C pillar, right at the bottom to maintian the flowing roof line. so then the front windscreen would be lower and at more of an angle, while hopefully maintaining the fast back lines.

Am I just being slightly mental or could it work? :blink:

Two things, one- i dont think the lines of the A Series need improving, two- a roof chop is a major exercise

one-liking the A Series as its made is my opinion,if you'd prefer it roof chopped then chop it, two-you would really have to know what your doing before taking a saw to the roof pillars,but if you've got the skills then this is not a problem.

It does have beautiful lines doesnt it... I just think it would be even better with a lower roof, something along the lines of the boss shape mustang.

And what are these skill things you are refering to??? :rolleyes: I've got basic mechanical skills, and thats about it. I think IF (very big if) I went ahead with the chop I would get someone to do the bulk of the work for me.

Thanks

The windscreen angle would still be the same,just that the roof will be smacking the top of your head ! :rolleyes:

dont for get the quarter light windows.and when you lower the roof the A pillars become widder so you will have to remove dash ect and fabricate pillars.same with the rear. if you havent got the skill to take that sort of job on i would leave well alone.you can if you dont surport the body properley totaly sh@g the car.and what a nice car they are.

Let me get this right . . . You want it to look like a FORD . . . F.F.S man, get a grip, sell the "A" to someone on here who will apreciate it and go join a blue oval forum.

wow man thats a bit harsh :( , he's only asking for opinions as to if its feasable or not , the car he was thinking on using for inspiration is aninternational iconic car for many :o

Thanks for all the input guys (most of you anyway...)

I'm still just toying with the idea, I defintly dont have the skills to do it myself, as I said in an earlier post. If (again, very very big IF) I do it, I'll pay someone else to do the work. There are some things I can do myself, this is definitly not one of them...

Maybe the best thing to do is leave it standard, and then buy a mustang as well... ;)

I like your thinking, better to be different that follow the crowd.

This can be done but would probably cost you about 2 grand if you paid someone to do it (burnham autos would be your best bet). Easiest way is like you say :-

Remove metal from the b and c posts to lower the roof a couple of inches and move it backwards slightly, then cut the base of the a posts and lean the whole screen backwards. Finding a windscreen to fit a chopped car can be difficult and expensive. The problem with doing it to a manta is that the door glass doesnt have a channel to fit in so it might be difficult to get the door glass made as well.

I'll do a photoshop of my a series and see what it looks like