Re-Doing My A Series

simon p

Very nice! Glad to hear the change of heart to go for it and IVA it, will be worth the hassle to have free reign with your ideas!

Incidentally we're working on a Pro-Touring '69 Camaro for a customer at the moment, similar principle, complete bespoke chassis (perimeter frame so no deep rails underneath for a very low ride when it's not on the road) and active air-ride etc.

once you start looking at the projects at places like Roadster Shop (http://www.roadstershop.com/gallery ) in the states its hard to stop!!

hope it keeps going well!

SS Camaros are lovely, very jealous. The good thing about building something like that is the availability of parts. Everything you need is kept on the shelf, from body panels to the air ride kit, all you need to do is put it together. For example, i saw a brand new Camaro body shell during my last visit to Sema, very nice. Sadly building my A Series involves fabricated from scatch.

Now that i've decided what route i'm going, i know i haven't got to compromise. May be ready for billing next year, but i've said that to myself many times before.

Yea the camaro stuff is very readily available........although we're not actually using much of it!! Our customer bought the ridetech active air ride kit in full, and we're selling all the arms, hubs, rear link kit etc etc on, and TIGging up new wishbones from scratch to use Corvette C6 hubs, bushes and balljoints. Rear axle is fabricated from scratch in chrome moly tubing and sheet to take Strange internals. We're rebuilding the body tub outer panels only using panels from the states ((as you say, big advantage over the Opel stuff there) but fabricating ALL internal panels (Dash, floors, bulkheads, boot floor etc) from scratch, plus making a complete bespoke chassis from front to rear, and then modifying a lof of the outer metalwork for loads of bespoke bits and bobs............the only original metal in the car once finished will be the inner roof frame (though that's been repaired), inner 1/4 panels, and part of the outer sill!!

We looked at the brand new shell option, but so much of it was being changed that it just didn't make financial sense, it ended up being near on £15k once landed in the uk, and including buying the car, all the panels, and our labour on the standard bits of the body tub, it was less than that to build ourselves. Same with the chassis, to buy a complete setup in the states was 20k dollars, which isn't far shy of £20k once landed and paid up in the UK, so I've drawn it up in 3d CAD and we're making from scratch (though buying the uprights etc from the states)

what engine are you going for in the manta? I'm assuming V8, but its getting tricky to choose which one!