2.4 Cih Clutch Options

guysat

Hi

Have a 2.4 CIH frontera engine going into my 1986 Opel Manta, have sourced a 5-speed Getrag gearbox.

What uprated clutch options are there, or commonly done....?

What flywheels are used to increase clutch dia, does anyone have a suitable flywheel...?

Any advice welcome

Guy

Hi Guy

Well the normal route is to use a 9" flywheel from a Monza with a 2.2 Carlton Clutch. All use the Monza clutch release arm as these are cast iron and slightly longer and if you can find one a Manta clutch pedal as these are longer as welland make the clutch nice and lite to use.

The best bit about this is is all straight replacement and the only thing you would need to modd would be the clutch pedal metal pad as these are only for LHD. All you need to do is grind of the two spot welds turn the pad round and re weld it on.

Only draw back i'm finding is finding the parts. There is another way thats has been suggested and thats to have a std 2.0e flyweheel modded to take a six bolt pressure plate and then use the parts for the XE conversion

We are running at least four cars with the Monza flywheel conversion and as yet have never got one to slip and some of the cars do get driven hard

Cheers

Andy

........if you can find one a Manta clutch pedal as these are longer as welland make the clutch nice and lite to use.

Sure you mean Manta?

And longer where?

Just being nosey :)

Also have a 2.4 with a GTE flywheel sitting on the back, which bolts should I have used? (Hard to tell as fitted it up in '99)

Have previously put "performance" clutches on standard GTE flywheels for two 3 litre conversions 170BHP approx and they were fine. Standard clutch lasted 10K. Based on 123BHP for a standard 2.4 not anticipating anything would be needed other than standard.

That said bought 2.4 in Dec 1998 as I plan ahead. Is ready to go in a car but not been used yet.

Are you planning on topping the standard 123BHP? Just wondered as i240 were 145 BHP I think. Would be interesting to know if they used standard clutch as an indicator.

Are you planning on topping the standard 123BHP? Just wondered as i240 were 145 BHP I think. Would be interesting to know if they used standard clutch as an indicator.

Not sure what to expect

Using a complete 2.2 injection system with a mild running cam. Just need to decide what to do with the clutch before installing engine.

www.manta24.eu

Have decided on plan of action.

Using std flywheel but redrilling to accept 9" cover and clutch plate, will let you know if works well.

Cheap option is to get the flywheel modded to take a 6 bolt XE NON POT type clutch, even has the right splines. You can upgrade with a Calibra turbo type. The bolts are 9mm that hold the cover plate so you'll need those (need some myself any one know where to get them?!!). Personally i think you'll run into problems due to the torque increase which is what will kill the clutch.

As for power had a LUK 2.0 clutch that took 160 ish no probs running on rough surface so got alot of stick. Ran a 2.2 LUK clutch on a 175-180 bhp motor and it lasted less than 10 miles...absolutely knackered. I've now switched to a steel flywheel/Helix paddle clutch and it doesn't feel grabby at all, even the pedal pressure is fine.

HTH

Chris

With the Monza box, you remove the main box first(easily accessible 4 bolts) then you have plenty of room to get to all the bellhousing to engine bolts...on refitting its a lot easier manipulating the gearbox on its own into clutch housing without the bellhousing attached...

Have decided on plan of action.

Using std flywheel but redrilling to accept 9" cover and clutch plate, will let you know if works well.

My plan has failed the recess in the flywheel wasn't concentric so just drilling 4 new hole would have failed.

Anyone got a Monza flywheel available :-)....?

Kinda starts to be more trouble than needed unless you really want it lighteneing when uprated will handle it.

With the Monza box, you remove the main box first(easily accessible 4 bolts) then you have plenty of room to get to all the bellhousing to engine bolts...on refitting its a lot easier manipulating the gearbox on its own into clutch housing without the bellhousing attached...

So like the Manta 4 speed

I'm sure you can use the std manta flywheel by machining the face down to the depth of the central recess, redrilling to 6 bolt pattern and ending up with a lightened flywheel too...

Yep you can use the std flywheel. The outer dia of the 2.0/2.2/2.4 are all the same its just the bolt pattern and the casting shape that are different. A decent machine shop will be able to centre up the fly wheel and redrill the correct pcd for the clutch you want. The XE non pot clutch has the 3mm (ish) recess that the manta clutch has but is a bigger dia so this needs machining out to size as well. Its not a big job but i wouldn't advise doing it at home unless you have access to a lathe and/or milling machine.

Its really important to get the clutch bang on centre otherwise you get drivetrain vibration issues. Also if any material is removed from the flywheel you will need to rebalance it, removing a couple of mm of cast iron can throw the balance way off due to the material structure.

My steel flywheel (5.3kg....light enough!!) cost around the 200 quid mark BUT that was drilled to my specs and came as a balanced item so less money to spend later on balancing (usually round 80-100 quid), plus it has better tensile strength and should have a better wear resistance. The cheap way ain't always the cheap way if you get my drift.

HTH

Chris