Sticking Caliper On 1800 Coupe

gibbopel

hi all new to this and need your expert advice. here's the thing when i get caliper free and re assemble it and start car to move it the thing re ceases any help would be brill seen as i can now see hole in wall from my head cheers guys ...... andy

If you press the brake pedal,then release it , the disc should turn freely, if not slacken the caliper bleed nipple, if there's pressure there then it's likely the flexy has collapsed internaly. Slackening the nipple should free the brake-if not then your caliper's still to blame.

Have you fitted a new slide kit and descaled the necessary bits?

Sometimes rust can force the seal out and so making the caliper piston stick, have had this happen on both Honda car and bike.

I assume it's just the one caliper that's sticking?

John.

The sliding Calipers fitted to the Manta are notorious for seizing.

1. the sliders (the bit 2 bits that the bolts goes through onto the stub axle) have the common problem of corrosion between the slides and the caliper slide bores.

Solution is to clean out slide bores with fine emery and Brasso (type stuff) as you don't want to remove too much material from the bores as you will create "Pad knock off" and caliper rattle when new slides are fitted.

Fit new slides with copper grease and new seals are possibly available from main dealers as similar calipers were fitted across the GM range at one time.

2. the Piston in the caliper does seize due to water ingress.

Solution is to remove piston using brake line still attached or by using an airline, then clean out the piston bore with brasso and a cloth only, fit a new seal and boot and all should be well...............

Should be well but due to the fact that everywhere the new boots have to be fitted and the areas where the caliper is supposed to slide against its other half will be that badly corroded you will have a real battle on your hands to ever get any replacement boot to fit onto it's prescribed area on the caliper,,,,, I'd just go and buy some new ones from Brakes.int unless on dismantling yours are not that bad.

Dismantled and rebuilt these calipers times and when working well they are a good caliper

The sliding Calipers fitted to the Manta are notorious for seizing.

1. the sliders (the bit 2 bits that the bolts goes through onto the stub axle) have the common problem of corrosion between the slides and the caliper slide bores.

Solution is to clean out slide bores with fine emery and Brasso (type stuff) as you don't want to remove too much material from the bores as you will create "Pad knock off" and caliper rattle when new slides are fitted.

Fit new slides with copper grease and new seals are possibly available from main dealers as similar calipers were fitted across the GM range at one time.

2. the Piston in the caliper does seize due to water ingress.

Solution is to remove piston using brake line still attached or by using an airline, then clean out the piston bore with brasso and a cloth only, fit a new seal and boot and all should be well...............

Should be well but due to the fact that everywhere the new boots have to be fitted and the areas where the caliper is supposed to slide against its other half will be that badly corroded you will have a real battle on your hands to ever get any replacement boot to fit onto it's prescribed area on the caliper,,,,, I'd just go and buy some new ones from Brakes.int unless on dismantling yours are not that bad.

Dismantled and rebuilt these calipers times and when working well they are a good caliper

once again ta.... just need car sorted for mot in standard form then cherry pick upgrades when it up n runnin resto all done so lincolnshire has more manta biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif