Manta A Brake Disks

marius

Hi

I am going to do engine swap on my manta a.

Actual is 1.9L my plans are to fit omega 2.5L V6 engine.

I know that besides this i need to do a lot of modifications, now I am working on front brakes have a problem here and need some help.

I read about an upgrade audi 256mm vented disks+vectra 16v calipers but I don't know if this configuration will be good enough for an 2.5L V6 engine.

Do I need a bigger front disks?

Hi

As mantaray said, you can run vented discs and the volvo 4 pots and they work great. Or depending on the size of wheels your running you can get some nice 280mm volvo discs and run some aftermarket calipers like wilwoods. Got some pictures here if your interested. www.theopelproject.com

and i would do the rear brakes and get rid of the drums. You just need a bracket, some BMW 320 discs and sierra 4x4 rear calipers and the handbrake cable fits straight on. Just finishing mine off and will have some pictures of the setup on the site next week. also have the bracket template if you need it.

Andy

Thanks Andy, wery useful info

I am running 15" wheels with an ET of 30, supose that an 280mm disk would fit.

What is total cost of this configuration?

for the rear brakes i am also planing an upgrade and would need some advice,braket template , but first to finish with front.

just saw you site , amazing work done there rolleyes.gif

Hi

I got the discs for £36 + vat per disc from my local auto spares supplier as he had them on the shelf. I think they are from a volvo (i have the box with the part numbers if needed) and then took them to a local machine shop with the standard disc for them to use as a template. and they charges £20 per disc to drill the 4 stud holes and take about 5mm out of the center as its slightly smaller on the new discs and they wont fit straight onto the hub. I had the willwood calipers already, but im sure there are others you can use. Im running 15" wheels and as you can see from the picturs they fit nicely under them! i just need the mounting brackets made which i dont think will cost much but will let you know when i find out.

Back brakes are easy, i have the bracket template. All you need is that, some spacers, the calipers and the BMW discs and your away! normal handbrake cable goes straight on and no messing about.

Will have pictures of mine on my site by wednesday as finishing the axel on tuesday so you can have a look and see what you think.

Glad you like the site, and if you need any more info just drop me an email to andy@theopelproject.com

Andy

286mm Carlton GSi discs and calipers are almost a direct fit. Very little needs to be done to make them fit. The calipers will fit directly but the discs need a little bit of work, mainly redrilling to take the wheel hub of the manta, and then you need to take off 2mm from inside the disc to make it align with the caliper. Easy peasytongue.gif

What about the Astra GTE 256mm disks and calipers? Or the Vectra GSi 280s? Would these blot up or are the carriers different?

You'd need to machine the discs and use a spacer as well. Astra Calipers bolt right on tho. Vectra 280's have a larger caliper carrier tho so it won't fit.(i tried when I scrapped my vectra)

I use the audi disc and astra/cavalier/some vectra caliper.

Edited by Shug