Sport Filter

cupas

Hello,

I would like to know how to fit sport air filter to 20e engine. What to do with Air flow meter which is together with original air filter box?

Hi. Sure, its no biggy at all. You simply remove the filter box, as this can be taken off the Air Flow meter. The trick is that you need an adapter as the intake hole in the air flow meter is square in shape, and the open filter you will be running is round in shape. So either you weld one up yourself (which is fairly simple) or you can simply buy a K&N i57 induction kit where this adapter is a part of the set.

A much cheaper alternative (however not as pretty perhaps) is to take out the filter, and remove the bottom of the filter box. You then cut it so only the frame to hold the filter in remain. Mount the filter again, and turn the entire box 90 degree so the filter point towards your headlights. This will not give you any power (it´s questionable whether any filter give power) but it will give you a nice and deep growling sound :)

As Monzta says if you buy an induction kit you will get the parts nessecary to fit the filter and the filter.

They come with an adapter for mounting the filter to the airflow meter and a bracket for mounting the airflow meter to the inner wing, and usally some tube for guiding air to the filter.

The reason you get a mounting bracket for the airflow meter is because mounting bracket is on the filter housing and you will be taking this off.

Maybe someone has photo how does it look?

Yes I want to fit it because I want a better sound. I know that it doesn't increase power, but I hope it will not give less power.

I searched for pictures of it yesterday but didnt find anything. It´s a super simple task. Really. It takes about 5 minutes to disassemble the airbox from a Manta. So the best thing for you to do is perhaps to take your own one apart and take a good look. .

You disconnect the cable jack from the box and then disconnect the breathing hose. Then you take the 3 10mm bolts that hold the filter and the entire airbox can be taken out of the car. You then disassemble the air filter box and take out the filter. Inside that part of the airfilterbox that is still connected to the air flow meter sits 4 bolts. Cant remember what they are (undbrako or 10mm hexagons) but when this has been taken off you can see that the hole is square, and you need to bolt on an adapter here to mount a sports filter.

Easy peasy :)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0043

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1244/4156526/9627715/118519163.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1244/4156526/11715711/188722684.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/jov/opeltuners/aboutfi/l_meters.jpg

Heres a couple of pictures i found on the net.

The last one shows where the trunking goes on the left and when plate is removed where you put the filter mount and attach filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry did not make myself clear.

The picture should look the same as if you had taken your airflow meter off your own car.

i.e the flange is where the trunking from airflow meter to plenum chamber goes.

And the other side with no flange and the 4 screw holes is where the new adaptor to fit a cone filter would go, it looks like this when you take the black filter housing off.

The bracket for mounting the airflow meter with the new filter on to the inner wing uses the same holes as when attached to the black filter housing.

You should get the required parts if you buy a kit from k&n or the likes.

Edited by midasmesh

Sorry did not make myself clear.

The picture should look the same as if you had taken your airflow meter off your own car.

i.e the flange is where the trunking from airflow meter to plenum chamber goes.

And the other side with no flange and the 4 screw holes is where the new adaptor to fit a cone filter would go, it looks like this when you take the black filter housing off.

The bracket for mounting the airflow meter with the new filter on to the inner wing uses the same holes as when attached to the black filter housing.

You should get the required parts if you buy a kit from k&n or the likes.

An i57 kit from K&N includes everything needed to make the conversion to open cone filter.

• 2 months later...

i fitted a 57i kit and a full pmc exhaust system to my old gte coupe and it made a big difference. it breathed easier and revved better immediately. different car overnight and the previous jetex exhaust and genuine air filter wasnt even that old as the car had been well maintained. definate mods for any manta i'll ever own. oh, and the noise was spectaclular!!