Newbie Non Omoc Member From Leamington - Am I Able To Attend The Midlands Club Meet This Friday To Discuss Manta Ownership And Joining The Club?

druid

Hello guys

I'm an Manta newbie, having been into air cooled VWs for as many years as I can remember (ouch!) However, I am a bit dissillusioned with the whole VW scene and I'm currently selling my '57 oval window beetle project. Although my VW credentials may have some of you gnashing their teeth in dismay, I can tell you that I did own a Vauxhall Magnum Coupe for some years during the late '80s/early '90s and it was the coolest vehicle I have ever owned (wish I'd never sold it!). Hopefully the Magnum ownership will buy me some credit around here?

I am seriously looking to buy a really good solid manta. Armed with a few motoring magazine buyer's guide articles, I have viewed a couple of mantas already. One seems pretty good but at the top of my budget. The other was extensively welded along both sills and the offside chassis rails. The welding was of a poor standard which is a shame as the previous owner had spent a lot of time making the car look good.

I am based in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire and I was hoping that I could turn up to the Midlands club meet this Friday at the Race Horse in Warwick as it is on my doorstep. I just want to meet the guys, get a bit of advice on buying a manta (maybe a few leads?) and discuss joining the club. Does anyone know if I can attend this event even though I am not a club member?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

welcome to our forum!

of course you can attend the meet!

You will be made very welcome.

I am sure your local members will point you in the right direction.

Happy Manta Hunting !

Fiona :thumbup

hi andy and welcome to the forum

you can attend pub meets even if your not a member and am sure you will get plenty off help in your search :D

Thanks Gary

I will drop in on Friday

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the site. You have a PM as I know of a very solid modified 1985 1.8 Manta Hatch which may be for sale.

A little taster:

DSC02565.jpg

Thanks Joe

PM sent

Hi Andy,

welcome to our forum!

of course you can attend the meet!

You will be made very welcome.

I am sure your local members will point you in the right direction.

Happy Manta Hunting !

Hi Fiona

I look forward to meeting you and some club members on Friday night!

Thanks Gary

I will drop in on Friday

Thanks Joe

PM sent

Hi Fiona

I look forward to meeting you and some club members on Friday night!

Hi Andy,

I wont personally be there on Friday, as it is not my geographical area, but our members in that area will certainly make you very welcome.

Hope to see you at an event soon though, hopefully with a manta?

Cheers,

Hi Andy....Myself (mick) and Louise will be at the pub meet friday eve but it could be hit or miss who will be there? this time of the year is very quiet for the club, just didn't want to dissapoint thinking the pub would be full of manta fanactics. we are normally sat near to the conservatory door at the rear of the pub

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

well hi andy you bit the bullet and payed for it ,i think you have got one of the best mantas left out there , so look after it and i hope you get to show it off nice one daren

Cheers mate

I enjoyed the drive home after I gave her a bit of a drink. She's a keeper. Taxed her today.

Any joy with the Haynes manual, photos and the previous keepers mobile number?

I would really appreciate that mate.

Look after yourself

I'm glad to hear you've bitten the bullet Andy. What you need to do now is buy a set of these:

http://www.lokari.de...s/IKF-008-L-R-B

And then spend some more on a load of this:

http://www.bilthambe...on%20Prevention

Then you can use it every day without it turning into a load of this (which is a photo of part of a new Exclusive at the factory, prior to it being painted...):

http://fantasystock....ure-05-58746146

I'm glad to hear you've bitten the bullet Andy. What you need to do now is buy a set of these:

http://www.lokari.de...s/IKF-008-L-R-B

And then spend some more on a load of this:

http://www.bilthambe...on%20Prevention

Then you can use it every day without it turning into a load of this (which is a photo of part of a new Exclusive at the factory, prior to it being painted...):

http://fantasystock....ure-05-58746146

Ha Ha!

Like it Joe.

Definitely need to get some renewed rust protection on the underside and box sections by the end of ther year. I've heard that the Bilt-Hamber stuff is great!

Seriously think that the fender liners are a good idea too - are they available for front and rear? Does anyone stock them in the UK?

Also, have you ordered from this company before and if so has it been a trouble free transaction?

I will come over to see your car sometime soon.

Cheers mate

Bilt Hamber stuff is great and I can personally vouch for it as a very satisfied user. Don't make the mistake of thinking Waxoyl is similar and will do instead though. It isn't and it won't.

I bought my liners on the internet direct from Lokari in Germany. They deliver to the UK and I had no problems dealing with them. Write to them in English and they'll be fine with it. They don't do them for the rear arches as you don't really need them on a Coupé. For my Hatch, I made one for the offside arch to protect the new fuel tank using a Cavalier Mk3 front liner, but the Coupés don't have an exposed tank. Make sure you use plenty of rust proofing and underseal in there on yours and you'll be fine.

Give me a shout sometime and come to see the car. I'd like to see yours too.

Hi Joe,

Those front wing liners look like a great idea - how do they fit on, and how easy is it to do? Do they clip in place somehow, or do you need to drill/bolt?

Just fitted new wings to my car, and these could be worthwhile to keep em that way.

Cheers,,, Rich

They are a fantastic idea, and anyone who has a Manta and uses it ought to get some fitted before they spend another penny on anything else. My Hatch has some of another (unknown) make on it which is the reason it has such a fantastically well preserved front end. The Lokari ones are a lot better than those, thicker, and better fitting. They even have small built-in mudflap sections to help preserve the underside.

I had them on my old orange Coupé. They took at least ten minutes to fit (ie the pair!) once I'd got the wheels off (yes, they're that easy) and were so well made that although I used a couple of the fixing screws supplied, they didn't actually need them. They spring into place and just sit there.

I seriously believe they're the best aftermarket product in existence for a Manta. And if Opel had fitted them from the factory, there would be a considerably larger number of the cars left today (which is why they didn't, of course).