Has Anyone Installed A Megasquirt Ecu In A Manta?

DJacobs

hi,

i've just pulled my 2.7 Exclusive coupe from its lock-up in the last week, after its been SORN'd for the last few years. i wont make it for Billing as i couldnt get it to start Saturday.

i'm getting 10.35 volts to the fuel pump when i try to start the car- is this correct? would have expected 12 volts but maybe i'm wrong. its definitely a fuel delivery problem. anyway the main reason i posted this is because i'm fed up of the overfuelling problems when the car was on the road back in 2009(!), so i will finally install the Megasquirt V3 system i have had waiting to install since 2007 this summer!!!

i've taken off my exhaust downpipe and will take it to get a lambda sensor boss welded in by a friend of mine on Saturday. i've already fitted a Frontera 2.4 oil pump cover to take the trigger wheel sensor, again off a Frontera. i noticed that i'll have to drill the engine casting in order to mount the sensor. i take it there'll be no danger of drilling through an oil gallery there?

i'm hoping to somehow mount the Megasquirt unit where the existing factory ecu is-has anybody out there fitted one of these, and if so where did they install it?

also is there anything else i need to consider? i already have the Frontera trigger wheel installed. Nick Webb sent me advice on the wiring back in the day so i'm good there.

Danny

If you have the frontera front cover and the frontera trigger disc cant you just run the frontera pickup with the Megasquirt? (not seen a megasquirt) so its just a thought. The frontera pickup just pushes in and bots in where the oil pump cover is.

Andy

From memory Megajolt needs 36-1 trigger wheel as it uses the ford edis system

that's why you can't use the Vauxhall crank sensor on the xe as I think is something like 60-2 I'm not sure what the frontera uses you need to count the lugs

Its was just a thought as if you could use the frontera sensor with it have have one that im not using as im running a weber alpha system and they run a 5 tooth trigger disc so cant use the frontera one.

Andy

the megasquirt V3 is different to the megajolt. the frontera trigger wheel was used on David Jackson's B project here:http://www.dj-motorsport.co.uk/

he used a Risse oil pump cover which is no longer available, but looking at the frontera one, it looks like it will fit once i drill out the engine casting for the sensor to go through.

as i said earlier, i'm more concerned with mounting the V3 itself, as its larger than the original ECU, and may be too large for the kick panel to go back on- i havent tried it yet.

if the engine is cranking (turning over) then that is not far off normal. your batery might be a bit flat because i would normally epect between 10.50-11.00 volts. if the engine is not being cranked, then it sounds like there could be a problem. the numbes are based on the typical voltages on most cars with fuel injection.

I'm soon to be fitting a megasquirt (ish... a bit erm... customised) unit to my cav once I get the new 6pot running on motronic. It really depends what version of megasquirt you are using as to what trigger setup you need (V3 only refers to the board layout, not the actual megaquirt version). I intend on using the standard C26NE serpentine pulley wheel trigger already fitted to my donor engine (60-2 from memory), MS2 can handle this fine along with basically any missing tooth wheel pattern you could dream up (within reason and an acceptable tolerance of electrical noise).

On that note, just noticed I need to renew the membership!

think i have the MS2. I bought it in 2007. i want to mount it in the same spot as the existing std ecu; theyre both similar in depth with the megasquirt being a bit longer. will have to mount it onto a piece of metal cut to ft the space,(using the back of an an old std ecu as a template). had my lambda boss welded to my downpipe Saturday so i just need to drill an 18mm hole into the engine casting in order to mount the crank sensor, before installing the megasquirt itself.