flatfish

Hi everyone, ( well everyone whos looking!)  just signed up to the club ,i have had 2 Mantas in the past (1980,s) but have recently been into American autos.  Saw the car i have now on ebay  and it turns out to be a club member who was selling. The car in question is a 1979 Berlinetta auto  reg  YDA174T.  Member selling was  classichpfirenzasnoot.  A very tidy car just had to buy it, seeing as i was on the lookout for a Manta of this era and also a similar model to the Manta my wife and i went on honeymoon in!!  back in 1982. Look forward to attending some meets and getting to know club members , regards John

• Like 2

Hello  Dave,  thanks for the welcome,  yes your right about the interior ,one of the details that stood out for me.  I take it the white Manta and turquoise ?  Ascona are yours?   Had an Ascona as well back in the eighties -when i had hair and more brain cells!  Ive got the Manta bug again and hope to get to some club meetings and shows. 

why is it automatics are to many people, a bit of a joke?  i have always preferred  autos with most cars i have owned(about 36 and counting)  is it because im lazy ?   yours looks a very nice example, my first manta was a 76 berlinetta auto coupe,  loved it . 

why is it automatics are to many people, a bit of a joke?

The automatic transmission in Opels of this era was only three speed and can be annoying when on a motorway running at high revs all the time.

A friend has an immaculately restored Opel Commodore A GSi, the only major deviation from original condition is the fitting of a four speed auto which he says has transformed the car, cruises much quiter and uses a lot less petrol.

That said i have a 1976 Manta 1.9L auto (pictured in my avatar) and i really enjoy driving it (although it currently has got rust holes in the floor !!!) if you are not in a complete rush to be somewhere it really does roll along in a very civalised manner, a real gentlemans carriage.

Just to remind everyone about the car we are talking about here is a picture from the resoration thread -

Picture%202854_zpscxihq7vz.jpg

Thats  the one, previous owner did a hell of a lot of work on this car, i read up on the restoration and he achieved so much in a short time. I am pleased with this Manta, seems to be very solid. Really only got to do some tittyvating (is that a word?). Did i read somewhere on the forum that a 4 speed auto box from a monza etc could be fitted to a Manta? Might be something for the future!

a 4 speed auto box from a monza etc could be fitted to a Manta?

They are certainly the same bell housing pattern, not sure if there is any transmition tunnel clearance issues on a Manta, the Monza ( Carlton ? ) gearbox is 110mm longer so the propshaft will need shortening accordingly, the rear mount is father back and there is a small ECU that goes with this gearbox but the wiring is very simple.

I helped my friend do this conversion tio his Opel Commodore A GSi and from memory the length is the only significant dimentional difference between the three and four speed gearboxes.