Opel manta A

graham crisp

Hi i'm looking for a project 

I love the Opal Manta A , I'm looking at purchasing one ideally in the new year so I can clear the garage out ready. How easy are the parts to purchase can you still buy new.

Looking on Ebay they are £14,000 that can't be right or are they trying there luck.

If I had £5000 what would I expect for my money

Many thanks

Graham

Edited by graham crisp

Hi and welcome. 

Manta A is quite rare now a days, and have been rising in value.  A good concourse car could cost £10000 +, for your £5000 budgit you should be able to find something  in above average condition.

Have a good look at the underside if it needs any welding then it can be expensive.

Parts can be found in Germany, but not much available in the uk.

Have a look in the project section and get an idea of what to look for, and if you can get a club member to look over the car with you.

Hi and welcome. 

Manta A is quite rare now a days, and have been rising in value.  A good concourse car could cost £10000 +, for your £5000 budgit you should be able to find something  in above average condition.

Have a good look at the underside if it needs any welding then it can be expensive.

Parts can be found in Germany, but not much available in the uk.

Have a look in the project section and get an idea of what to look for, and if you can get a club member to look over the car with you.

Thanks Chris

Really appreciate your help, if you hear of a car coming on the market please let me know

Thanks for the reply

Graham

Hi i'm looking for a project 

I love the Opal Manta A , I'm looking at purchasing one ideally in the new year so I can clear the garage out ready. How easy are the parts to purchase can you still buy new.

Looking on Ebay they are £14,000 that can't be right or are they trying there luck.

If I had £5000 what would I expect for my money

Many thanks

Graham

Hi Graham

Welcome to the club and your right the A series does look nice. Look for one with good panels (don't worry about dents!) as these are the expensive bits now. Obviously the under side matters. Rust places on the A are, back quarters, sils, jacking points, boot well, battery tray and sometimes inner wings. The main one to look for is the chassis rail that comes up from the front jacking point to the engine bay as this is a common place and the front cross member bolts on here so it can be a bit of work if its bad there. You can get all the parts but it can be a bit of hunting round (as i have found) i have a little blog on mine with some parts links here: http://www.theopelproject.com/

but have a good look on ebay.de to get an idea of what people are selling.

For your budget you should get a good one to start from or maybe finish off, but give it a good poke around when you do find one and dont rush into it, better to wait for the right one and always drop a post if you want some info, someone will have been through it on here ;-)

And dont forget an A series is not just for Christmas, its a long term purchase ;-)

Andy

Edited by 611

Thanks Andy

Appreciate your advice,I've contacted a few places regarding replacement panels and you're right very hard to locate. I do need to find a pretty straight car which needs finishing off cosmetically as i know my limitations.

Thanks again

Graham

I do know of one that could be for sale, down north London.

I have had a quick look round it and it does seem to be a solid shell. Chassie rails looked good as did the whole under side. Paint work was OK and over all looked like it just needed a bit of TLC.

As for price I don't know, but got the impression the seller is hoping to get £3000 +

As I have said, only had a quick look, so needs a good look over but it may be worth a punt.

If your interested PM your phone number and I can tell you a bit more about it.

Thanks Andy

Appreciate your advice,I've contacted a few places regarding replacement panels and you're right very hard to locate. I do need to find a pretty straight car which needs finishing off cosmetically as i know my limitations.

Thanks again

Graham

No problem Graham.

If i had a time machine i would nip back to 1985 and buy a whole load of panels to sell in 2015 :-)

Good luck finding one.

andy

Hi Graham,

The A series is a very very good choice. I believe personally it is the best shape that manta has had. The lines just look amazing and has the muscle car look. I bought mine 2 years ago and wasnt in the best of conditions but the chassis rails where good and to be honest the over condition wasnt that bad. I had Chris from CR classics to come down to check it over for me which i was very grateful for. After he finished looking at it and talking to the guy i ended up parting with it for 2300. It then went to chris for a full body rebuild. I have not added up the money yet but i believe i am very close now to 20 grand. Ones that i have seen on ebay have been fully restored in the price bracket for 10000 - 15000 and they are worth that all day long. 

I am unfortunately going to be putting mine up for sale in the next month as i need the money to put into my first house and as much as i love my manta and will always miss her when gone a house is something i need more. She will be put up for £15000 and i will see what happens with that but mine is no normal manta she is a street legal drag car running a ford mustang 351 cleveland v8 with NOS and all sorts. lots of toys and well worth to someone that want a lovely looking classic car but can use it for the road and track. She is a real head turner.

Good luck on your search they are brilliant looking cars and you will not be disappointed with it but really good ones are not cheap and are well worth the money. 

A series is on my wish list

i'm sure the car is out there for me, your car sounds fantastic  I'm sure it will be snapped up. A car is on ebay at the moment starting price £10,000 its on the classic car website for £15,000 (been on a while ) it does look lovely it may be worth seeing what that goes for , its a show winner it should give you an insight on how much you may get for yours ?.

Many thanks for the feedback

Graham