XE noisy tappets

biffy1984

My tappets were quite rattly on start up a few years ago and I was too lazy to clean them so bought a set from trechii off eBay. Well these were even noisier!  I just got used to it and ignored it because they were always quiet when warmed up.

At the moment I'm in the process of rebuilding the head anyway so might as well sort it now as I don't want to be in there again for a while. My question is, should I buy a brand new set of GM ones, clean out the original ones properly or get myself a set of ecotec ones...they say the ecotec ones have a bigger oil hole?? Don't really want to buy a set of GM ones as I believe they're expensive.

Has anyone tried cleaning them before with success or even fitted ecotec ones?

1 hour ago, biffy1984 said:

I'll maybe try cleaning the original ones, priced a set from our local Vauxhall dealer this morning and at £36.10 each plus vat I don't think I'll be bothering with them!!

What local dealer are you using as Peter Vardy in Aberdeen do discount to OMOC members.

4 minutes ago, biffy1984 said:

Station Garage here in Shetland, who don't give any discount. I'll give Peter Vardy a ring :thumbup

Let me know how you get on. It used to be Attie that I dealt with there but he is now service manager, think it may be Mark or Craig that would deal with that side of things but if you get any grief drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.   

9 minutes ago, lepo5 said:

Let me know how you get on. It used to be Attie that I dealt with there but he is now service manager, think it may be Mark or Craig that would deal with that side of things but if you get any grief drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.   

They are coming in at the same price minus 10% discount for OMOC members so still gonna be over 600 quid with the VAT...

1 hour ago, biffy1984 said:

They are coming in at the same price minus 10% discount for OMOC members so still gonna be over 600 quid with the VAT...

Not good, I usually get 20% discount equivalent to trade price but I don't think that would help you out here, worth a try though. Handy to know that the discount is there though as I have saved a lot using it and it more than pays for my membership every year.