steering rack for rally car

Crookboy

Hi all, Im looking for a steering rack - hi ratio - believe the exclusive may be higher than std. Also looking for the link and u/js for the connector between rack and column. Im also after a set of window, door, boot rubbers for a 2dr Ascona B

Thx

The racks are the same on the exclusive/gte/1.8 at 3.5 turns lock to lock, there is a difference in the hole position for the trackrod end into the upright that makes the gte/exclusive a tad quicker but not a lot.

You can get quick rack kits from quaife that they list as 2.5 or 2.25 (can't remember which) which you then build into an existing casing. However thay actually work out a little under 2 when they are actually on the car

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mantasrme said:

The racks are the same on the exclusive/gte/1.8 at 3.5 turns lock to lock, there is a difference in the hole position for the trackrod end into the upright that makes the gte/exclusive a tad quicker but not a lot.

You can get quick rack kits from quaife that they list as 2.5 or 2.25 (can't remember which) which you then build into an existing casing. However thay actually work out a little under 2 when they are actually on the car

Deffinitely woukd need that power steering conversion with that 💪

19 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Deffinitely woukd need that power steering conversion with that 💪

Yep, its much nicer to drive with the epas fitted.

Just checked and Quaife state 2.5turns for their rack. I have one fitted on my 1800 hatch and checking that its just over 2, when it was fitted to my exclusive uprights it was under 2.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mantasrme said:

Yep, its much nicer to drive with the epas fitted.

Just checked and Quaife state 2.5turns for their rack. I have one fitted on my 1800 hatch and checking that its just over 2, when it was fitted to my exclusive uprights it was under 2.

Thanks, that's good info. So to me it qualify kit and none GTE stub axles would be best option. I'll keep that in mind as going this route on my rebuilds.

7 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thanks, that's good info. So to me it qualify kit and none GTE stub axles would be best option. I'll keep that in mind as going this route on my rebuilds.

Yes i think so for a road car, for a rally car the sub 2 turns with power steering wouldn't be an issue.

Retropower were talking about getting their own quickracks made up for the manta as the quaife ones can be a little hit and miss for accuracy. Don't think they got anywhere with it though as they are so busy with other things.

I know the feeling i have loads of ideas for projects written down that never get any further than that :huh:

• Haha 1