CIH starter motor

Nivlek2525

On 06/11/2023 at 22:39, cam.in.head said:

its only early.   fit it now and lets see how it spins over !  you know you want to !

Well it's spins over lovely now. Starters half the size but certainly has enough power. This is the first time I've managed to get a compression test in since changing the piston rings etc.

IMG-20231110-WA0004~2.jpeg

IMG-20231110-WA0002~2.jpeg

Just now, Nivlek2525 said:

Well it's spins over lovely now. Starters half the size but certainly has enough power. This is the first time I've managed to get a compression test in since changing the piston rings etc.

Just need to find a bottom radiator hose and check some.of the.wiring and I might actually be able to see if this will fire up.....

1 minute ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Just need to find a bottom radiator hose and check some.of the.wiring and I might actually be able to see if this will fire up.....

Thanks for the help one and all.

• Like 1

the guage is only good for comparison purposes realy. they are probably not totally accurate or calibrated to any great accuracy.

i have a gunsons one just like yours and a 1.6s gives around 175 a 2.0s gives around 185 and a 2.0e around 200 so seeing as ive always had the same one i can do comparisons between and over time . i have a book with the recorded readings of mine and friends cars over the years back to the late 80's using the same actual guage.( just replaced the hose once )

if you have just put new rings in then they will possibly get a little better after a few hundred miles anyway .

you should find a new hose on ebay easily but if you get stuck ive got plenty used ones !

8 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

the guage is only good for comparison purposes realy. they are probably not totally accurate or calibrated to any great accuracy.

i have a gunsons one just like yours and a 1.6s gives around 175 a 2.0s gives around 185 and a 2.0e around 200 so seeing as ive always had the same one i can do comparisons between and over time . i have a book with the recorded readings of mine and friends cars over the years back to the late 80's using the same actual guage.( just replaced the hose once )

if you have just put new rings in then they will possibly get a little better after a few hundred miles anyway .

you should find a new hose on ebay easily but if you get stuck ive got plenty used ones !

Thanks for that. 

I've but the 2.4 head on mine so might affect the compression a little. I've only ever used that gauge once before about 20 years ago. No idea if it reads high or low. The readings are reasonable consistent and I only gave it 3 or 4 turns per cylinder to save the battery so I'm not unhappy with them.

I can't find a lower hose listed for a gte anywhere on ebay. Loads for carb engines but none for the gte thermostat.  If you could share a link that would be great.

Been on most of the day trying to get a spark. No joy yet.....

5 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

as far as i know the lower hose is the same on all cih models its the top hose thats different.

bottom hose just goes from radiator stub to water pump.

Unless I've connected something up wrong..which is entirely possible, the large outlet on the water pump reduces down and goes into the gte thermostat housing.  That leave the outlet from the gte thermostat down to the bottom of the radiator. To connect with the bottom hose. Since the gte thermostat and the carb thermostat are different (I think) then I thought you'd need a different hose.

I'll take a picture of what I have just to confirm.

Cheers.

K.