Engine/Battery light on while ignition off

Hi all,

As stated above, my battery light stays on when the engine is switched off and the key removed. I have cleaned battery terminals, numerous earthing points, ignition switch/cylinder and connections to my alternator, all to no avail. If I remove the smaller cable with a spade connector from the back of the alternator the light goes out and I’m told that this means my alternator is the problem. Can anyone confirm this or offer an alternative suggestion please?

Also, assuming my alternator is the problem, could someone confirm the correct alternator for a 1987 2.0 GTE coupé as I don’t think the current one is right as the belt alignment is a few mm out with the pulley.

Many thanks,

Steve.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah, it’s a fault in the alternator, diode is breaking down. 

Thanks Jess, I thought you might know 😉👍

19 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

and to prove the wire / warning light circuit check that the light comes on if you touch it to earth ONLY with the ignition on . 

Thanks cam.in.head, I’ll check it out later today 👍 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i assume by the wanted post that you have confirmed the alternator faulty. 

you have a choice of delco or bosch types both interchangeable .there are two types of the delco involving slight difference to the warning light wiring which is no major issue and two types power wise at 45 and 55 amp. also you can fit the larger 65amp from a senator  but you May need the mountings too .

however if you are capable yourself i would just check and repair your own unit. not difficult and parts easily available . sounds like you may need a regulator or diode pack ? but testable easily enough once dismantled.

alternatively ( as requested) someone on here will have a unit for you . the cav std 45 amp unit or 55amp as also used in the carlton 2.2

Edited by cam.in.head

Thanks again cam.in.head for your response. As you point out, I have posted to try and get a replacement alternator that is the correct fit for my car. I have spoken to all my local motor factors and they no longer list anything for a Manta - apart from one non returnable alternator for £520 which I politely & very quickly declined 😱. My current Unipart alternator I’ll get repaired (diode fault confirmed) and keep as an emergency spare, as the pulley position isn’t quite right. Hence, I need another/new one (55 or 65amp) but, alas, no replies as yet. AutoDoc list a couple but I need to know they are right which is why I’ve asked other members to let me know what they are using so that I can match it.

🤞someone will come back to me soon 😁

Steve.

just out of curiosity . if the pulley position is incorrect there are a few options .

is the pulley the right way round or missing / added any spacers ?

is the lower mounting and / or rubbers ok ?

can you add any washers to one side of the lower mounting on the alternator to adjust its position forward or rearward.

finally is it a bosch or delco and have you got a trusted place to repair it for you ?.

however i'm very surprised you cannot find one on ebay . if i find one il let you know

• Like 1

Might have one in my pile of spares, but it will be untested tbh. Definitely have a 2.4 one, but that might sit further forwards I’ll see if I can look to tomorrow before I travel away 

5 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

just out of curiosity . if the pulley position is incorrect there are a few options .

is the pulley the right way round or missing / added any spacers ?

is the lower mounting and / or rubbers ok ?

can you add any washers to one side of the lower mounting on the alternator to adjust its position forward or rearward.

finally is it a bosch or delco and have you got a trusted place to repair it for you ?.

however i'm very surprised you cannot find one on ebay . if i find one il let you know

There is some scope for packers etc. to correct/improve the alignment of the pulleys. However, my long term plan is to try and fully restore the car and get everything as right as I can. The breakdown of my alternator gives me the opportunity to correct one thing now, hopefully. Having only recently moved to this area I don’t yet know all the best local firms, however, I have been given the details of a repair company in Bridgewater that have come highly recommended. EBay have a listing in Germany for £308 and I’ve spoken to Carl who is unable to help at this time.

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Might have one in my pile of spares, but it will be untested tbh. Definitely have a 2.4 one, but that might sit further forwards I’ll see if I can look to tomorrow before I travel away 

Thanks Jessopia74. If you have a correct one that is suitable for testing/reconditioning I will be very interested. Needs to be a 55 or 65 amp as I have an exclusive with the quad lights. 

Steve

as i've only owned cavaliers and early mantas all of them had the std 45 amp and i did fit a 55amp to one of mine from a carlton 2.2. i wasn't aware that the later exclusives were already fitted with 55a versions. but to be honest cannot see why they would need it .

the only 65 amp i had was from a series 2 senator but the body was larger and was swapped complete with its bracket ( it appeared different ?)

i do have plenty alternators for refurb but i'm pretty sure most if not all will be 45 amp.

also if you are interested to know if you ever change the std 063 battery you can fit a larger cca version such as a 075 or a 096 and 100. mine both have a 100 size and it is great . 

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

as i've only owned cavaliers and early mantas all of them had the std 45 amp and i did fit a 55amp to one of mine from a carlton 2.2. i wasn't aware that the later exclusives were already fitted with 55a versions. but to be honest cannot see why they would need it .

the only 65 amp i had was from a series 2 senator but the body was larger and was swapped complete with its bracket ( it appeared different ?)

i do have plenty alternators for refurb but i'm pretty sure most if not all will be 45 amp.

also if you are interested to know if you ever change the std 063 battery you can fit a larger cca version such as a 075 or a 096 and 100. mine both have a 100 size and it is great . 

Hi cam.in.head,

I believe mine to require a 55amp (or 65amp) based purely on an earlier post, on this site, where someone else stated that the twin headlight cars need that little extra from an alternator and also from the parts disc, section 12 page 292 shown below, but stand to be corrected if this isn’t so. I take on board your suggestion of a larger battery to help but currently have a 063 fitted.

SCAN0292.jpeg

as i say i haven't owned a later exclusive as i prefer the earlier chrome bumpered cars but later ones may well have 55amp as standard . the same principles apply regarding testing and repairing them anyway . the main differences being the external regulator on the bosch versions. do you not fancy repairing one yourself rather than trusting a shop ?. they are pretty straightforward 

On 24/07/2024 at 12:55, cam.in.head said:

as i say i haven't owned a later exclusive as i prefer the earlier chrome bumpered cars but later ones may well have 55amp as standard . the same principles apply regarding testing and repairing them anyway . the main differences being the external regulator on the bosch versions. do you not fancy repairing one yourself rather than trusting a shop ?. they are pretty straightforward 

I'm not opposed to repairing mine myself, never done it but (as you say) they seem quite straight forward. However, my aim is still to try and find a better fit alternator and, depending what is on offer, I’ll make a decision from there. The car is not needed on a daily basis and so I can afford to wait a while before sorting it out.