Engine

numbersix

I'm not an expert! but my auld back bears the pain of lifting a few CIH engines!

If its the 6-in-line? then I reckon It will be heaver than the 2.0L

Thats a definate. I have looked through the workshop manual for the Carlton, and can't find any indication of the inline 6 weight. I rekon its about 40k heavier than the CIH.

• 2 weeks later...

When I stripped my old CIH I weighed as many components as I could and came up with a combined weight of about 165kg.

As a comparison the V6 weighs supposedly 175 kg, but thats with the 15 kg flywheel!

Couldn't tell you what the straight six weighs but as its half the engine again that the CIH is, I'd say easily 40 kg heavier. Maybe more. Thats a lot of extra weight ahead of the front wheels!

Got a bit of info on engine weights

2.0 CIH with Ancills - 153kg

3.0 CIH bare - approx 185kg

These were taken from Opelgt.com. The weight of the 2.0 CIH was taken in comparison to a C20LET which weighed in at a similar spec at 162kg. This was fitted with a turbo so if you allow 7kg for the turbo weight the XE/LET weight is 155kg.

HTH

Chris

Dont forget the 3.0 24v has an alloy head so should'nt be much heavier that a 2.0 cih engine which has a cast iron head.... now if its the 3.0 12v engine with cast iron head thats a diffrent story, ive got a 24v engine in my manta with standard suspension + shocks and still has nornal ride height

Dont forget the 3.0 24v has an alloy head so should'nt be much heavier that a 2.0 cih engine which has a cast iron head.... now if its the 3.0 12v engine with cast iron head thats a diffrent story, ive got a 24v engine in my manta with standard suspension + shocks and still has nornal ride height

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm dropping into the car tomorrow, fingers crossed that the back end stays firm. I hope its all running for Billing!!