Wheel Bearings

SENNA1

That sounds excellent Snowy. Would you need a good one to work out the fit by example, or are there standard engineering formulas you can refer to for this? I expect that might be the case and be more accurate.

I have plenty of the standard rings to work from. But do not worry. I'm an aerospace engineer. I can do this one if people need them.

They are very pricey!

I though bearingkits were having me on for a bit, but I have got to know the guy pretty well, and my local (and exceptionally good) axle reconditioners confirmed his story. Basically FAG are the only remaining manufacturer of the right bearing, and thus have now put their prices up hugely! My axle place actually bought some of the bearings from bearingkits as there were cheaper than their usual big stockist.

A full bearing set for a manta axle is now over £300..........................buy with care!!:unsure:

In terms of changing them, you don't need heat.........

Cut the old ones off, the new ones need approx 3 tonnes to get them on in a hydraulic press, surprisingly light fit for a halfshaft bearing.

Also don't forget that there are, generically, big and small axle bearings. One for chevette/kadett/cavaliermk1/manta a/b 1.2, 1.3 and 1.6 in cav form, then "big" which is anything from that selection with bigger engine, except kadett GTE I think which still have the smaller axle iirc

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a bit frustrating for me, as the (big) bearings on my newly aquired A series axle are ok, but the backplates are knackered. So it seems I'll have to cut off the lockrings and remove the bearings, just to change the backplates. Does anyone know of a source of the lockrings on their own? Or is it possible to remove the bearings/lockrings without cutting them?

Wrong!

You undo the four bolts and pull the halfshaft (assumes al brakes and drum already off)

There is a cover plate between bearing and hub that you would have to remove bearing to swap BUT IT IS NOT PART OF BACKPLATE

My back plates are different due to disks. However, the square arounf the half shaft shown below is not part of the back plate

DiskBackPlate.jpg

Wrong!

You undo the four bolts and pull the halfshaft (assumes al brakes and drum already off)

There is a cover plate between bearing and hub that you would have to remove bearing to swap BUT IT IS NOT PART OF BACKPLATE

DiskBackPlate.jpg

My mistake, the backplates are shot but so is one of the cover plates, quite well decayed. So I will still need to remove the bearing, something I was hoping to avoid.

Is the bearing an interference fit onto the shaft, or just the lock ring?

I mean, if I turn up a new lockring will I be able to remove the bearing without a fight? Or will the bearing be a bugger to get off the shaft too?

SO much to do, so little time, I want this one finished before the summer does!