Wheel Bearings

SENNA1

Front Bearing kits are 90486463 which are also rear kits for Mk1 Corsa, Mk1,2,3 Astra, Mk2,3 Cavalier Etc.

Theses are still available @ £27.33 + VAT .

Pattern rear bearings are about if you have a look around ebay etc

Cheers

Andy

Here are the pictures of the rear wheel bearing i have. I bought this in good faith, the box does say on the back for a MK1 cavalier 2000cc inc coupe. So i'm assuming it will fit the manta axle.

Image0319.jpg

Image0320.jpg

Image0321.jpg

But i think your biggest problem will be getting hold of this part...

Image0316.jpg

...you cannot re use the old one as you have to cut it off.

Edited by Snowy

Here are the pictures of the rear wheel bearing i have. I bought this in good faith, the box does say on the back for a MK1 cavalier 2000cc inc coupe. So i'm assuming it will fit the manta axle.

Image0319.jpg

Image0320.jpg

Image0321.jpg

But i think your biggest problem will be getting hold of this part...

Image0316.jpg

...you cannot re use the old one as you have to cut it off.

Snowy

If you open up the pack take some measurements as that is a part that could be easily machined up with the correct dimensions/drawing.

Cheers

Chris

Snowy

If you open up the pack take some measurements as that is a part that could be easily machined up with the correct dimensions/drawing.

Cheers

Chris

I know, but i do not need any. I have plenty of rear wheel bearing kits :thumbup

Hi Senna,

front wheel bearings are FIRSTLINE part number FBK026,if you try ebay,or take this number into your local motor factors,they should be able to use this,they may even have stock!Most shops will be able to cross ref this into other manufacturers part numbers (ie QUINTON HAZEL)i'll see if i can come up with any other numbers for you mate.

cheers for now,Paul :thumbup

www.qha.com

Download catalog, find part number for your car, use PDF reader find to get a list of cars that bearing fits..............

......or just taje the QH number and ask for equivalent.

The QH front bearings are half the price or less than the genuine ones.

I would give you part numbers, but give a man a fish................

You shouldn't re use locking rings ever but I have seen it done. I have also pulled a couple of half shafts over the years where I would guess it has been done by the spot welds holding the locking rings to the half shaft. Nasty.

:thumbup Here we go Senna;

FIRSTLINE part number; front = FBK026

rear = FBK031

QUINTON HAZEL part number; front = QWB105C

rear = QWB177C

As i've said matey,look for these part numbers on FLEABAY and/or take these to your local factors,they WILL be able to use them.Or even better,seeing as you have the part numbers,just sit on the phone and do a ring round of local part shops,as these are older part numbers now,try finding the shops that have been around a long time.Hope this helps,let us know how you get on mate,cheers. :thumbup

Hi MANTADOC,yep,sure am matey :thumbup

Funny as QH catalog has QWB105C fitting a couple of Innocentis, A35 A40, Sprite / Healey, Midget, Minor, Riley, Wolseley etc

Where as QWB155C fits Manta B Cavalier MKI etc.

Just checked spreadsheet I've been keeping since '92 (and before I had downloaded catalogs) and I have QWB155C listed for front of Kadett C and Manta B.

There be a rear kit on ebay at the mo'. It's a firstline one, FKB220 which oddly but like a lot of miscellaneous ebay parts do says it fits Manta 1.2, 1.3 and 1.6 1976-1981 ??? Obviously don't buy this one as the seller doesn't know what car they're for either!

Am I understanding that the rear bearing kits are becoming harder to source? If that's the case then I've heard of a few other 'consumable' parts that seem to be dwindling which may become a problem to many of us in the near future.

QH bearing book lists MK1 Cav as having one bearing.

Mantas on 1.6 could be either of two whereas below 1.6 was one and above was another (like Cav)

Or I made it up.

There be a rear kit on ebay at the mo'. It's a firstline one, FKB220 which oddly but like a lot of miscellaneous ebay parts do says it fits Manta 1.2, 1.3 and 1.6 1976-1981 ??? Obviously don't buy this one as the seller doesn't know what car they're for either!

Am I understanding that the rear bearing kits are becoming harder to source? If that's the case then I've heard of a few other 'consumable' parts that seem to be dwindling which may become a problem to many of us in the near future.

The bearings are freely available, so surely worst case is getting a group buy / batch of locking rings made up. TBH I wouldn't mind if it was a ring turned small you left on the gas hob then dropped on to shrink fit.

Wouldn't that cause a problem if you're driving along and for whatever reason the bearing starts to fail, heats up, shrinks the lock ring and it falls out? It may never get that hot though it's just a thought.

There does seem to be a lot of bearing kits on ebay and other places where it would appear that the manufactuers own catalogues list them as fitting 1.2, 1.3 and 1.6 1975(sometimes 1976)-1981(sometimes 1988 or 1989!?!?) Cars which don't exist or years that cut off even though the axles are the same. Some are £10-£20 a kit but there's some SKF ones for £65, all very confusing but at least the SKF ones state fit Manta B/C rear axles.

The bearings are freely available, so surely worst case is getting a group buy / batch of locking rings made up. TBH I wouldn't mind if it was a ring turned small you left on the gas hob then dropped on to shrink fit.

If people have bearings but need the locking ring i can machine up a set for anyone.

Wouldn't that cause a problem if you're driving along and for whatever reason the bearing starts to fail, heats up, shrinks the lock ring and it falls out? It may never get that hot though it's just a thought.

You mean heats up and expands the locking ring?

Well the original ring is interference fit, and trust me shrink fit can be many times tighter.

I can do either type. It would not be a problem at all.

That sounds excellent Snowy. Would you need a good one to work out the fit by example, or are there standard engineering formulas you can refer to for this? I expect that might be the case and be more accurate.