Opel Type Spring Compressor

bones

What does it look like Bones, The one in the manual?

I've got a set of coil spring compressors if that's what you are after.

I've got a normal set of spring compressors, I'll hopefully catch up with you tomorrow at the trial and show you what I'm looking for.

I know the type you mean. You can't get them (best to my knowledge) as the tool belongs to a different era. Mcphearson struts are all the range now, and have been for many a years now. You'll just have to manage with the tools available. I've removed front springs with standard claps (right pain in the butt) and I would hazard a guess! that most have also.

Sounds like I'll have to have a go with the trolley jack then. I had a chevette front end sat in the garden and didn't need the original springs, so I got my mate to come round with a gas axe and cut the springs into three bits, I thought since they are in three bits there would never have been any pressure on the arms. How wrong I was, when I knocked the top arm bolt out the top arm nearly whacked me in the face. I will have to proceed with more caution next time.

Would you you still use a trolley jack with 500lbs springs?

Edited by bones

The higher the poundage the less difference between the unfitted length and fitted length. My Manta is wearing 400lb springs, easily put in by hand, in fact taped the rubber top mount to them to ensure they were seated properly and thats for either standard or plus 1" springs.

First off I advise taking all appropriate safety measures, and if in doubt do not attempt any task.

That said, there might be 300 people on here who all work on Mantas and have a lot of experience changing coil springs and no-one has one. That might be an indication of exactly how necessary it is you have this exact tool to do the job.

Ok ok I understand just though it would make life easier as I have heard of a few people having near misses. I'll give the trolley jack a go.

I was waiting for Zipper to see if he had one that he was going to sell me but I have emailed him through the site and by email and can't get a reply, I think he might have been bragging that he had one rather than one for sale but unfortunately he doesn't seam to reply to emails.

As before, take all necessary health and safety precautions and don't undertake a task if unsure.

As Keith says above.

Original springs are long enough to still be hooked on the back of the spring cup even with the wishbone all the way down and pinging them off the spring seat with a bar risks them flying. Tying a short length of rope to the anti roll bar mount to tether them and stop this or roping the coils together when the spring is conpressed are bad ideas.

Uprated Manta coils usually push in by hand. Probably the same with Chevette / Kadett but not sure. But that's the in not the out you need to start with.

http://www.chevettes.com/oldforum/viewtopic.php?t=12922