What Gearbox

johnboy

Hia all, is there a straight swap 5 speed box that will fit an A series manta fitted with the 2.0s cih engine and do you need different prop, shifter etc. Just need to keep it going for now as the box (a standard 4 speed) is a bit ropey to say the least. Hopefully will be going down the redtop or ecotec route after the garage is finished, cheers for now, John

Thanks for the replys guys but i am not that familiar with the later type manta,s (i know give me a slap) what would i use a five speed box from? is the gte a 5 speeder or is there one from a carlton or cavalier rwd that is 5 speed to fit? and would i need the same clutch center plate or will the 2.0s to 4 speed centre plate fit, cheers

The A series has never been made with 5 speed box, so you need to do a little modifications for a 5 speed conversion rolleyes.gif

The most easy fit is to use a B series Manta 5 speed Getrag gearbox. What you need for this combo to work is the following:

1 Manta B series 5 speed gearbox (fit directly on existing engine, flywheel and clutch)

1 propshaft from Manta B / Ascona B car with Automatic transmission (direct fit)

Alternatly you need to use a Manta B propshaft (for 5 speed gearbox not 4 speed) and get this item shortened to correct length.

1 Alterations to the gearbox tunnel needs to be made, the gearbox will fit, but the hole for the gearleaver needs moving backwards.

There are other gearbox options but this one is the easiest one to do. thumbsup.gif

There is another alternative though and thats to keep the 4 speed box, but to change the rear diff to a lower ratio giving longer gears, and more top speed. There is a 3,11:1 ratio available for the Manta´s and this will make your gears alot longer. You are probably running a 3,67:1 now.

Edited by monzta

1 Alterations to the gearbox tunnel needs to be made, the gearbox will fit, but the hole for the gearleaver needs moving backwards.

There are various threads on here where people have shortened the plate the lever mounts on and the rod to have it come out of the standard apature so it looks at home