Poorly Cih

Ralphead

Hi. I've got a Vauxhall Viva with a 2 litre CIH with points ignition and a Weber carb. I cannot get cylinders 3 and 4 to fire. I have sparks, fuel and equal compression on all cylinders. It will fire up on 1 and 2 and run for 5 seconds or so but no more. I'm really stumped, does anyone have any ideas please? The engine will have to come out at some point soon anyway so there's a 2.4 available in Cornwall/Devon then I'd be interested..

Stupid question, but are the spark leads on for correct firing order? (1-3-2-4)

I'd check the distributor in case rotor arm/cap/sensor isn't quite right.

Is it injection? Have you tried swapping injectors round to see if the problem moves?

Edited by Shug

Isn't it 1-3-4-2?

Does that anser your problem too Shug?

Or have I gone nuts as 1-3-2-4 sounds like a Ford Kent or something to me.

:lol:

That was from memory but when I did mine I had the haynes in front of me.

I really should avoid posting when hungover :D

Try putting the engine on the "marks" (flywheel mark) and the ignitionwire the rotor is pointing at can acutally be either cyl 1 firering or 4 firering that differs from the make of the ignition. The correct firering code is 1342 and if it doesnt work try crossing the wires so its 4213 instead :)

Also you could check whether all 4 plugs have good spark ?

One thing to note - on a CIH engine when the bottom pully is at the top dead centre mark and the top (cam) pully mark is against its groove in the supporting plate this is top dead centre EXHAUST STROKE for number one cylinder.

The engine would then need rotating one turn to bring it to top dead centre with number one cylinder on its firing stroke.

One thing to note - on a CIH engine when the bottom pully is at the top dead centre mark and the top (cam) pully mark is against its groove in the supporting plate this is top dead centre EXHAUST STROKE for number one cylinder.

The engine would then need rotating one turn to bring it to top dead centre with number one cylinder on its firing stroke.

Thats why there´s a mark on the flywheel too thumbsup.gif

I've tried several different coils and they all bite, I did ask for a condenser in my local factors and the bloke got out an air con catalogue!

What's got me is that the sparks are good and seem properly timed although I will check this. But as I said it runs on the front two cylinders, just nothing from the back two whatsoever

Bit of a long shot , have you checked distributor shaft for any bend in it or wear in the centre bushes up through the body, opening points sufficiently for 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4, check points gap on each lobe, had this years ago on ???????? can't remember now but took ages to track the fault down, just a thought :thumbup ,,,, or maybe air leak on inlet manifold near the back somewhere???

As johnboy says air leak maybe.....

Have had servo hose going porous on previous cars causing lumpy/erratic idle. If it's bad enough to cause missfire I would expect you to be able to hear it drawing air? If the engine only runs for seconds at a time diagnosis may take a while.

If it is an intake air leak it would only be aparent at idle and wouln't cause a miss when throttle open.

Did fault occur gradually when running or did you just try starting one day and had problems??

John.