Inaccurate Rev Counter

moodoo

Folks,

Noticed on Sunday that the rev counter in my CIH injected A-series is behaving strangely. It reads about 2000 rpm too high. It moves OK as the engine speeds up or slows down, but just seems to be constantly 2k over, i.e it shows around 3k at idle, and about 5k where I know she is doing around 3k. Engine is running perfectly. On Sunday after I noticed it, I took her back home, let her sit idling for a couple of minutes, and then it started reading OK again. Same thing happened today, it was reading wrong whilst I was driving, then when I came home and let her idle for a few minutes, and then took her out again, it was reading right?!

Anybody any idea what might be going on? If it was a bad connection somewhere, I would have expected the reading to be erratic or jumpy, not just 2000 too high??:blink:

Thanks in advance..

Fin

Voltage stabiliser would be first thing i would go for but would expect fuel gauge to be playing up as well :unsure:

No point rev counter doesn't use it.

Folks,

Noticed on Sunday that the rev counter in my CIH injected A-series is behaving strangely.

Are you using points or GTE electronics for ignition?

I wouldn't be surprised if you were using points.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Fuel and temp gauges are normal.

I can't see any obvious damaged insulation around the coil/ignition amp, and the the LT wire seems a good distance from any HT leads.

I'm using GTE electronics for the ignition, not points.

Again this evening the rev counter was doing the same thing...not the end of the world, but annoying all the same!

Just for the next person that stumbles across this...

I think it was the ignition amp. At least I changed the amp for a spare one, and the problem seemed to go away. Although the problem

had been intermittant, it was happening almost all the time, and after I changed the amp, the rev counter was spot on all last weekend. So

hopefully that was it!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.