1.8 Twin Weber 40 Dcoe Manifold

opelmantagsi

anyone know where I can get a twin weber 40 DCOE inlet manifold for my 1.8 Manta?

I keep hitting a brick wall on this one, maybe because I am in New Zealand

doing the Polo servo mod thats shown in the new Manta Magic mag, had people say the Astra one is too long ?

any advise on this would be much appreciated

Edited by opelmantagsi
  • Like 1

Hello Derek I have found one on german ebay, have a look and see if its the correct one.

the item number is 200591202245 it has 5 days left and has a buy now for £150

hope this helps in some way. cheers Adie thumbsup.gif

Why put Webers on? Sell them to someone less enlightened and fit bike carbs instead. Much better, probably cheaper and you won't have to move your servo either.

You'll need a set of 1998 - 2000 Yamaha R1 4LO carbs, inlet rubbers and fuel pump, a Bogg Brothers manifold, a Pipercross filter and a bit of fiddling to sort out a throttle cable and manual choke (and a Cavalier SRi130 20SEH 2 litre engine if you like, too!):

DSC02565.jpg

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

Why put Webers on? Sell them to someone less enlightened and fit bike carbs instead. Much better, probably cheaper and you won't have to move your servo either.

You'll need a set of 1998 - 2000 Yamaha R1 4LO carbs, inlet rubbers and fuel pump, a Bogg Brothers manifold, a Pipercross filter and a bit of fiddling to sort out a throttle cable and manual choke (and a Cavalier SRi130 20SEH 2 litre engine if you like, too!):

thats an option, I do like what you have done there, will give it some thought.

is that the entire engine or just the head off the 2.0L motor?

thats the idea, looks like that one is on a VW

Briefly, it's a Cavalier SRi 130 (so 20SEH) 2 litre engine with the 1.8 Manta cam carrier in place of the Cavalier one to make it look like

it's still the 1.8. The block, cam and head are from the 2 litre engine but everything else, including the oil pump, is from the 1.8.

My insurers do know it's a 2 litre engine incidentally.

The head is a Blydenstein B+ one with larger inlet valves, the 1.8 distributor now has no advance/retard and was re-mapped for a fast road engine

by H& H Ignitions of Brierley Hill in the West Midlands:

http://www.h-h-ignit...olutions.co.uk/

The cam is a Cavalier one from Courtenay in North Walsham and the complete exhaust system from Ashley, modified so it actually fits the car properly

rather than how they originally made it.

If Mr Bogg's rolling road is correct (I'm uncertain), it makes about 157 bhp at the rear wheels. Sufficient, as the saying goes, so who needs 16 valves!

http://www.boggbros.co.uk/

Once you've set up the carbs and timing, there's nothing else to fiddle with and the carbs don't go out of tune like Webers do. They're also lighter,

need only the original R1 fuel pump (no pressure adjusting valves or any other cack), let the engine rev like the clappers and sound rather pleasing too.

See various issues of Manta Magic from 2006 to late 2007 for more details on the car (the 'Confessions...' articles).

Edited by Joe

ok, out here in the colonies Vauxhall / Opel's are pretty rare.

I have only ever seen 1 Mk2 Cavalier in NZ, that was a private import. There are some Opel Vectra's.

here are three links to cars currently for sale here, the NZ$1 is currently worth 48p or something like that.

these are all 8V 2.0L but unsure what engine is in them.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=365182786

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=363318944

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=365205158

there is the odd Calibra on that site now and again but not that interested in doing a C20XE conversion, would rather stick with what I have got.

How refreshing.

What a wonderful topic and wonderful posts.

Now there is Joe very well known and well respected that has done an absolutely brilliant conversion with his SEH with a Blydenstein head, Wilder Cam specifically for this engine, and the Bike carbs conversion.

Then all rolling roaded up and tuned so specific figures for the engine and mods are given out.

Comparing this to a current thread about a single carb on an SEH nuff said, this thread just reeks of sheer class :thumbup

Top posts as ever Joe.

Thanks Clive & Gary, we aim to please!

The Cavalier Mk2 onwards was called the 'Vectra' in other countries so you're on the right track.

The second and third cars in your NZ adverts look promising. Ask the sellers about the bhp. It should be 130. If it's 115, that's the wrong engine.

If you can find the engine number, there's a clue there but I can't remember what it should say for the 20SEH engine (it may be '20SEH'!).

I don't think the 'C20NE' is the one. Can you remember Clive?

If it helps, I bought an exchange recon engine from GM for £763.00 delivered to start my project, and I had a Mk3 Cavalier SRi 130 (that looked just the same as your Vectra GTs - can you check their original spec?) bought for £100 to use as the donor for the exchange engine.

just had a closer look at my 1.8 and it looks to me like the engine has been changed at some stage.

there is a crank sensor in the block below number 1 exhaust port, the lead has been cut

also the oil filler is located on the other end of the head, nearer the fire wall / bulkhead

I cant see the engine number for the exhaust manifold, will rty and make it out in the dark with a torch

could be a 1.8 out of an astra C18NE motor?

Derek

Edited by opelmantagsi

Thanks Clive & Gary, we aim to please!

The Cavalier Mk2 onwards was called the 'Vectra' in other countries so you're on the right track.

The second and third cars in your NZ adverts look promising. Ask the sellers about the bhp. It should be 130. If it's 115, that's the wrong engine.

If you can find the engine number, there's a clue there but I can't remember what it should say for the 20SEH engine (it may be '20SEH'!).

I don't think the 'C20NE' is the one. Can you remember Clive?

If it helps, I bought an exchange recon engine from GM for £763.00 delivered to start my project, and I had a Mk3 Cavalier SRi 130 (that looked just the same as your Vectra GTs - can you check their original spec?) bought for £100 to use as the donor for the exchange engine.

Yes mate, I'm sure it was the 20NE that was a lower spec engine, I read an article about the 20SEH engine and there were a lot of little mods to block and of course to the head that made it a much better spec engine to give a base starting point of 130BHP, unlike Joe I rebuilt one from scratch, and the rebuild parts were very very cheap, iirc rings, mains, big ends and gasket set all came to £75.00, i gas flowed the head, decent exhaust and a k&n saw an easy 150BHP from this engine (rolling roaded not a guess).

If I hadn't been given a C20XE I would have gone this route again as it is cheap, easy, lightweight storming engine, and running on the original injection it is smooth and very well behaved. (not knocking your bike carbs Joe, but maybe knocking a single carb conversion).

The 20NE engine was fitted into the MKIII Cavs in the 2.0i flavour, and apparently in some early CavII Sri's The SEH first came available in the CavII Sri130 and then went into the MKIII Sri 130, Then... the later SRi 130's had a slightly different loom and ECU as Lambda sensors were added for emissions control, there was a difference in performance between the MKIII early and later Management systems but can't remember what it is to be precise.

Proof in the pudding so to speak of this conversion...... Mick Harbidge (Manta88) with his 16V Manta and myself with SEH 8V at SantaPad went down the track together, He caught the lights better than me and went off in the lead, I went off and stayed on his rear bumper all the way down the track, neither of us could seem to gain any headway on each other over the 1/4 mile. If anyone on here has the Video of that I'd love to see it again.

Manta88 later had his car Rolling roaded at 163BHP

just had a closer look at my 1.8 and it looks to me like the engine has been changed at some stage.

there is a crank sensor in the block below number 1 exhaust port, the lead has been cut

also the oil filler is located on the other end of the head, nearer the fire wall / bulkhead

I cant see the engine number for the exhaust manifold, will rty and make it out in the dark with a torch

could be a 1.8 out of an astra C18NE motor?

Derek

Hi Derek, I'm afraid I can't comment on the 1.8NE motor as I know nothing about them, does seem odd that you have a crak sensor on your block, also very very odd that the oil filler cap is the wrong end, can only assume that the top cover has been put on back to front, which may mean that you could have heavy breathing issues as there is a splash shield incorporated on the cam cover that I'm sure will only allow the cam cover/top cover to be fitted one way round on the cam housing unless it is removed, if removed it could cause a lot of oil to be going through to the carb.

Engine No.s

These are often not easy to see on the OHC engines, as Joe said looking at the engine from front of car (FWD) there is a small flat area on the top RH side of the block where the head meets the block, often corroded to high hell on the FWD cars, on the Manta with the 1.8 it should be in the same place.

maybe the single carb conversion is the only way they can afford to do it ? as we all know costs come into everything we do, we all experiment with cheap easy ways to get them up and running/looking good. the single carb conversion i did was for a guy who wanted it to look standard under the bonnet and it did just that and still goes great for what he wanted. joes carbs look fantastic and when i saw his motor at tatton park i thought it was excellent :).

back on topic any one got a manifold for this guy ?

any idea if this will fit guys?

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/Merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=M4561&CategoryID=8&PartsectionID=46

also looks like the fuel pump is cam driven on my one, the existing carb is a two barrel weber down draft, someone has welded (skillfully) an adaptor onto the old inlet manifold at some stage

lots of what looks like un needed plumbing connected to the manifold as well

• 1 month later...

tracked down this mangoletsi manifold said to be suitable for an 8 valve ASTRA 1600 & 1800, KADETT D or E

part number 4561-45

for Weber DCOE or Dellorto DHLA

further information at

http://mangoletsimanifolds.com/ma­nifolds/opel.html

does not fit the head on my Manta (now think it has a Vectra A 1.8 engine fitted)

found out part number 4562 is the same manifold, just different alternator lowering bracket

can anyone help me identify the cyliner head / engine type? rectangular inlet ports...

Flange is correct and line up but ports do not line up, line up ports ok but then flange bolts dont line up.

cheers

P6111207.jpg

P6111204.jpg

P6111205.jpg

P6111206.jpg