30 Small Ballbearings Found On The Garage Floor

Hi all,

I drove the Manta out on to the drive today, and when I went back into the garage I noticed around 30 small ballbearings on the floor. They were mostly about 3mm diameter, but three of them were larger, more like 5mm.

Most were found around the area below the rear axle (which, in fact, was replaced last week for a reconditioned one.)

I had a look around under the car but couldn't see anything particularly amiss - and it seemed ok on a short test drive.

Of course it's possible that the ballbearings haven't come from the Manta at all, but it seems more likely that they have - anyone have any ideas where I should look?

Thanks

Stuart.

Stuart,

Did you just have the axle replaced and refit the original torque tube? The only bearings I can think of that would be able to fall on the floor are the ones from the nose end of the torque tube. Most people would have left their propshaft and torque tube conected to the car when changing an axle and just bolt the new axle casing on with the four allen headed cap screws. If your torque tube was left on the car then I would say that the bearings are not from your Manta. If the lower steering column bearing has collapsed, like Mantadoc says then you might be able to feel play if you try grabbing it at the top and bottom and rocking it towards you and back. ..... Luke.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll have to talk to the garage that carried out the rear axle replacement. The new one came with the propshaft attached but I don't know whether they used it or the existing one.

The steering has felt very slightly graunchy lately so there may be something to investigate in that too.

The ballbearings on the floor were completely dry - no oil or grease at all. I counted 32 but there could have been more that have rolled off somewhere.

Cheers

Stuart

Nope, they're absolutely clean and dry- and I spoke to the garage owner today who said that the torque tube was left on during the axle transplant. The ballbearings are definitely odd sizes too, which to me suggests something rather less precision engineered than a car - so it's probably going to turn out to be something ridiculous like one of the wheels on the BBQ. Wish I could be 100% sure though rolleyes.gif

Stuart