Manta 'a' Exhaust?

Alf

Hello Chaps,

I bought a new exhaust for my 1972 Manta 'A' from Germany, it doesn't fit!!! They can't explain it so I put my thinking cap on, the front pipe/manifold is the problem, the rest of it is OK, the two pipes are 90 degrees out, is this because our cars are Right Hand Drive, there isn't much space down there, is this something you've all come across before? and is there an easy fix? Here's a photo to show what I mean!!

Thanks,

Alf.

Mantaexhaust003.jpg

you need the manifold off a LHD manta. you can get one off www.mantaclub.nl :)

The problem with that is where do I put the steering shaft?

I've spent hours today measuring, there's no doubt the export Manta 'A' has a different exhaust manifold from the home/German variety specifically to make room for the steering wheel being on the right side of the car, I can see no alternative than to modify the front pipe section to fit around the steering rod, shouldn't be too difficult if I take my time, measure twice and cut just the once!!:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alf.

What is the big lump of tubing in the middle? not seen that before

It's a Flugel Horn, after all, it is German!!

That's so I can play a tune as I drive along the Autobahn!!:lol:

Nah! ...Something to do with resonance and smoothing the flow of gases, I think it's supposed to increase the flow and compensate for the siamesed exhaust port in the middle of the head? It got too technical for me, the German man explaining it got too complicated for my Bablefish to translate!!:rolleyes:

Alf.

It´s known as a crossover tube. It works, and is located on all group B exhaust systems for the Manta´s . Have had several of them from Simons when they did the Group B 2,5" system for the Manta´s. Makes a hell of a noise and should add some power.

I would simply make some changes to the new exhaust to make it fit.

Morning Chaps!

Yes I could get a British front section or even modify my own, they are options I will think about but having a nice new shiny one in stainless sitting there makes me want to modify that!! Plus it's a much larger bore, 2.5" all the way, so I don't want to restrict it at the manifold end?

It's all such a long way off, I'm replacing the chassis rails this week, floor pans next, I'm sure you've all been there and know what I'm talking about, it'll probably be Christmas before I get to fitting this exhaust!!

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Cheers,

Alf.

It´s known as a crossover tube. It works, and is located on all group B exhaust systems for the Manta´s . Have had several of them from Simons when they did the Group B 2,5" system for the Manta´s. Makes a hell of a noise and should add some power.

I would simply make some changes to the new exhaust to make it fit.

Montza

Seen these before and wondered if they really do work. Martelius exhaust manifolds for the 2.4 have a proper x crossover on them for the full race motors.

Got a 2.3 long stroke race motor running a 254 kent cam and need to sort a manifold/exhaust system, the one fitted to the racer is home made 2.5" single box straight through system but from a std cast manifold which allegedly flows pretty well. Got a large bore manifold (home made job) which looks ok, needs a few mods which i'll do. Is it worth me copying the crossover tube design on the rest of the exhaust or not? The engine runs flat out as i do oval racing on dirt.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by lamchop77

I would consider it and maybe try it out, see if things change on a dyno?.

It should flow better with that construction added to the design, as the twirls from the manifold will settle down in this part of the system, it will also build a pressure, and of course push it out the rest of the way giving the gasses a new twirl that will flow better in the remaining exhaust system and backbox. An exhaust system for racing needs to have some resistance to make the twirls steady down for optimal flow.