Hello

hi all I'm Dean and live nr leicester and new to the manta lol just got a 1.8 berlinetta not even seen it yet so this is going to be one he'll of a project as pick it up next week all I no is it's been kept in a garage for a long time it's anthracite in colour and the last owner has had it for 20 years who is a mechanic but it is in need of a little tlc it's a 1984 I think lol so the first of many questions is what way around is the front towing eye as I need to get it home and a friend has a towing bar with horizontal fitment

hi all I'm Dean and live nr leicester and new to the manta lol just got a 1.8 berlinetta not even seen it yet so this is going to be one he'll of a project as pick it up next week all I no is it's been kept in a garage for a long time it's anthracite in colour and the last owner has had it for 20 years who is a mechanic but it is in need of a little tlc it's a 1984 I think lol so the first of many questions is what way around is the front towing eye as I need to get it home and a friend has a towing bar with horizontal fitment

Hi there Dean and welcome to the club.

You will have to undo the front bumper and its attatched to the front cross member.

Hope this helps??

Fiona.

Welcome Dean

Towing Ring is attached to front crossmember . I have never moved front spoiler to tow personally. My tip would be to test brakes . If your Hatch has been stood for a while chances are brakes will not be too hot and certainly not as good as the vehicle that is towing you unless its a penny farthing ? Once you have it home , Enjoy the ride it will be worth it in the end HONEST . If you need any help , Just ask there are plenty of old heads on here that know every little trick .

Ian M

cheers peeps and it's being towed by a mitsi pajaro on a solid bar so brakes shouldn't be an issue and shouldn't take to long to get road worthy as I have 3 other daily drives lol and glad there's some people local I'm hopping to get her to a show or meet by the end of the year but not going to modifie her in any way if I can help it fancy a change from all that so hoping for standard prestine for next year but we will se what needs doing first

well been busy so not had a chance to do nothing yet but tonight i get to go and see the car and find a way of getting it back here so hopefully the photos will start at the weekend plus i need to get another motor down the unit if there is room thats being stripped for parts to fund this project as well as a capri in there having a rover sd1 v8 fitted in there aswell as other little projects a couple of us are doing :wacko: hmm hectic again in my hideing hole lol but going to be worth it

Hi Dean . Welcome to Manta World ! In my humble opinion you will need to take the front air-dam / bumper off ..

(( Under the wheel arch , along the chasis rail . there are 2 x 13m bolts .. the furthest one is almost under the head-light .. undo these on both sides .. there are the connectors for the indicators in the air-dam and the wash / wipers if fitted .. then the whole air-dam should pull forward and off of the plastic mounts on the wing .. ) If its the Hatch take the rear shelf out , wind the pass seat back . the air-dam will then fit in the car . .. If your towing bar has a bend in it .. put the bar with the bend facing down towards the road ...take a charged battery with you ( round terminals ) for signal / lights radio ;) and dont forget your ON TOW sign for the back .. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your MANTA .. & Yes , lets see the pic's please

Edited by bettyswallox

didnt look to bad but decided a trailers the only way which delays it a couple of days and from a quick look theres a bit of rust here n there underneith laqure peel on 1 wing grill & panel window wipers go through flat battery a slit pipe aluminium flexi from manifold and a fare bit of moss around window seals so im more than pleased and cant wait to start work on it

20110608_14.jpg

20110608_19.jpg

20110608_16.jpg

20110608_17.jpg

hope you like any sugestions appreciated good or bad as this is my first classic motor and non ford but want to keep it standard engine wise (for now lol)

Edited by Dean beds

Hi Dean, it looks ok, it will probably have rust in the usual areas, inner wings,front chassis rails, jacking points ,rear arches the list goes on, but it's worth it in the end. It looks like a local car with the RY at the end of the number plate. Keep the photo's coming :thumbup

Hi Dean, it looks ok, it will probably have rust in the usual areas, inner wings,front chassis rails, jacking points ,rear arches the list goes on, but it's worth it in the end. It looks like a local car with the RY at the end of the number plate. Keep the photo's coming :thumbup

rust i can handle thats part the fun pulling it apart to rebuild it as long as the kry dosnt stand for cry when i start it lol but just had a thought though will it run on unleaded :o now thats worrying that might mean finding engine parts or engines :wacko:

Edited by Dean beds

hi dean and welcome to the forum,looks like you have found a decent one there if its in good condition underneath.

will run on unleaded no problem :thumbup

cheers buddy there was a sign of rust underneath but wont no how bad till shes home at weekend and up in the air but engine bay and what i could see through the front all looks good soo fingers crossed nothing too bad but we all no hows these things go you find signs look closer and then it jumps out at you but im planning on stripping / repairing what i can then attacking the lot with wax oil and undersealer or whatever else i get my hands on :thumbup

Hi Dean,

nice to see someone preserving an 1800 Manta, not sure from the photo's what exact shade of grey it is but it could be the very rare steel grey.

as for rust its only when you get underneath will you know how much tin worm you have, it's all repairable, just need the time and skill.

Mechanically you've not got alot of problems, the engine type is the same as front wheel drive Vauxhalls so parts aren't hard to get and it is made for unleaded.

got it back here today and must say im very pleased with it but had to go back down the unit but since then ive given it a once over only to find middle box needs replacing , and the odd serffice scab of rust here n there usuall places arch and a piece the size off your hand on n/s rear bottom spat butt underneith seems fine as there plenty of underseal on it and couldnt find any thing sustantial with the hammer or screwdriver lol but did have a shock at how soft the suspension is and think somebody forgot to tut my interior in when it was built it lol theres no mod cons infact theres nothing to them a couple of buttons and a stalk lol .but thats it for now i will be starting a project thread as i get stuck into it prob with the clan up tomorro as it just had a quick wash . thanks for your welcomes and hope to talk to you all alot more in the future as this seems a nice place to be