Lsd Options And Opinions For Manta B

Shane P

As above lads, have being after an lsd for ages now but wondering what to go for, i do very little track action but use the car for fast road use quite often and want to get it more sideways!!

what are the quaife diffs like?

any info is greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Quaife is king.. You can find some old 40% lsd´s on ebay but they are often worn down and cost an arm and a leg to repair. Quaife makes to kinds, the old kind and the ATB. The ATB are very nice especially for asphalt and track as they work just like a normal diff but opposite. Your current diff will have the wheel with the least load spinning, but the ATB will move your power to the wheel with the most load giving you optimal grip, and plenty of sideways action. But most of all you will have a very good grip. We are buying one of theese for my brothers historic Manta A racer as the old 40% has worn down for the second time..

And they are cheap ! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reply mate must look into it, mate of mine has a few zf's but there more expensive than a new quaife!! Its a toughie!!

Yeah those old ZF´s are pricy. But the Quaife is very good and have a long warranty. They are however not suited for gravel or loose surface racing. They are ment to be on the track or road :)

best LSD is not quaiffe its the gripper diff from www.gearboxman.co.uk ( even better than a new ZF) he makes them, fits them, guarantees them, and also sets it up for what driving you are doing (road/track/rallying,) service parts are on the shelf if you ever need them. the quaiffe diff only locks up under load so if you want to go sideways and back off mid way it unlocks. the quaiffe diff is only really a fast road item nothing more.

mantasrme has a gripper diff and also provides a fitting service, talk to mantasrme or gearboxman who makes them for quality advice. a few guys on here have had axles rebuilt by gearboxman and he does a top job fully guaranteed service. if you go onto the web site you will find he does a few different LSD options.

Edited by rutts

Shane P,

The good old plate type diff is King. Those Quaife ATB diffs never fully lock and only work when both wheels are on the ground. If you lift a wheel, it will still spin the lifted wheel whilst a plate diff will lock solid. I've got two of these ZF LSDs and have found a place that remanufactures the Internal plates at a sensible price. I think that if you were after an LSD for traction control, rather than going sideways then the Quaife ATB would be fine but for a bit more sideways I'd say its got to be a Fully locking plate type LSD.

Buying and then fitting an LSD can work out very expensive and Whilst one of these Quaife diffs might seem like a good idea with no plates to wear out and a lifetime warranty, I wouldn't like to have forked out the £650 ish price for the bare diff, lets say another £100 or so for the side bearings and then spend quite a bit of time setting the backlash up with pulling the bearings on and off several times, to find out it didn't perform. I'd rather sort it properly with a plate Diff.

I've driven a couple of front wheel drive cars fitted with Quaife ATB diffs and thought they worked really well as a FWD diff. If you accelerate hard around a roundabout, the front of the car steers into the roundabout instead of just drifting across the road in a cloud of understeer as my old RS Turbo used to.

Fitting a ZF plate type LSD has transformed my car and was well worth all the messing about and expense, .Luke..

Edited by 399Road

Thanks luke good info there

Thankyou,

I forgot to mention that there's a couple of different fitments for the Manta Diffs and this might be something to check up on before buying one. The flange that your crownwheel bolts to will be offset one way or the other by about 4mm or so. What ratio diff do you want to end up with? I've used the lower ratio 3.67 from an 1800 Manta as this makes your car accelerate better than the longer 3.44 ratio. The 3.67 isn't too low though as my car tops out at 135mph. The Quaife ATB diffs are made to fit the 3.67 diff and won't fit a 3.44 ( The GTE Ratio ) without a bit of machining. I'd make sure that the diff you're buying will work with your choice of ratio. There's a couple of other ratios available but these others are quite rare as I think they were options when the cars were new, so I'd stick with either a 3.67 or a 3.44. If you buy a Gripper or Titan Diff then they'll know about this already. If you find a ZF diff, there's a part number etched into its casing that tells you which ratio diff it will suit. Some people say that an Isuzu Piazza diff fits straight into a Manta casing but I can't see how as they have 10 Crownwheel bolts instead of the Mantas 8, so don't waste your money on one of these Piazza Diffs if you are offered one. Good luck with finding one... Luke.

agreed on the plate diff opinions

Gripper diffs are made at a company I visit regularly (as they make all the props that we use at retropower) just down the road from us in Coventry, Dave Mac Props. Believe me they are proper engineers and know a hell of a lot about what they are doing! I would thoroughly recommend them.

Gripper are currently waiting for stock of the 2 diffs for the Manta, there is a 4mm difference in cwp thicknesses and therefore the offset of the end plate is adjusted by 4mm to suit. It will still be worth giving them a call as they should be available in a week or so.

Option 1 - Part No: MANTA_LSD_19.6

Fitted to:

Opel Kadett B (Fg.Nr 2298262), Olympia A, GT 19S with CWP 3.44 / 3.18

Opel Kadett C GT/E 19E, 20E with CWP 3.44

Opel Ascona / Manta A 19S, 19E, Ascona / Manta B 19S, 19E, 20S, 20E with 3.18 / 3.44.

Option 2 - Part No: MANTA_LSD_23.6

Fitted to:

Opel Kadett B (Fg.Nr 2298263), Olympia A, 17S, 19S with CWP 3.67 / 3.89

Opel Kadett C 16S, 19E, 20E, 20EH with CWP 3.67 / 3.89 / 4.2 / 4.75

Opel Ascona / Manta A 16S, 19S, 19E, Ascona Voyage 16, 16S with CWP 3.67 / 3.89

Opel Ascona / Manta B 13S, 16S, 19, 20 with 3.67 / 3.70 / 4.30.

Opel Rekord C / D / E & Commodore C with CWP 3.67 / 3.79 / 3.89 / 4.22.

Regards

Tim