Manta Gear Box (Manual 1.8 Or 2.0)

craigb

Where are you? that's the question. I have a good 2.0 box that you can have for £20.00, but if you are a 100 miles away it wouldn't be a good buy for you, state where you are and you very likely will get a reply from someone in your area :thumbup

Edited by Julian

Thanks Mate! ...is yours a Getrag 5 speed?

I'm in Leicester.

Would you be able to send some pics at all? Thanks :)

No mate, it's a G M. 4speed box off a 1979 2.0 Manta Coupe.

You are aware that the gearbox for the 1,8 and the one for the 2,0 are different yes? The 1,8 is a completely different construction than the old 2,0 lump so gearboxes are not interchangable as they are made in one piece..

Thanks for the advice guys.. im using a 2L redtop engine putting out around 225 hp (i already have it so no turning back there) and had been advised that a 5 speed getrag from a manta was a strong bit of kit and would marry straight up , other than that im a bit lost as to exactly what i should be looking for? any help would be greatly appreciated !:blink:

Edited by craigb

Brilliant engine choice thumbsup.gif

As the 16V uses same fastening points for the gearbox as the ohc engines what you should be looking for would be a 5 speed getrag from Manta B 1,8. They can however be a bit hard to find, and they are not unbreakable (i have put a few of them in the grave myself).

You could however consider using the R25 gearbox from Omega A series (carlton) 1,8 or 2,0. Again you should be aware that the carltons both come with CIH type engine and OHC and what you should be looking for is the OHC. The R25 has better gear ratios than the getrag (getrag 5th gear is 1:1 where R25 is 0,85:1) and will give you a tad better fuel consumption, and better cruising rpms.

See if you can catch users Simon P from suffolk or Retropower in this forum they know alot about theese conversions and can propably help you with all the info you need, and maybe also some parts if you need any.thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.. im using a 2L redtop engine putting out around 225 hp (i already have it so no turning back there) and had been advised that a 5 speed getrag from a manta was a strong bit of kit and would marry straight up , other than that im a bit lost as to exactly what i should be looking for? any help would be greatly appreciated !:blink:

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C20xe-Manta-Getrag-Gearbox-Chevette-Kadett-Rwd-Conv-/330591642790?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf8cc24a6