Lightly Modded Cavalier Gls Saloon

spiney_norman

Considering selling the Cavalier saloon I've just finished doing as I've been offered another project and I could do with some cash. It's a GLS saloon, so rare as you like, '81 on a W plate, and has a Manta GTE engine, injection system and 5 speed box fitted.

- Brand new front pipe, nearly new centre and back boxes

- 2.2 Carlton vented front brakes

- Lowered on AVO springs and shocks

- 5x BMW E30 alloys, all with good tyres

- Excellent interior except some stitching has come apart on driver's seat base and the usual cracked dash top

Basically it's a sound car, taxed until the end of November and it'll come with a full 12 month MOT. I've been using it daily for the last week or two and the only problems have been a dodgy connection to the fuel pump which is now cleaned, and it's a bit low on speed bumps!

It does need some finishing off, there are a few small holes in the roof which could do with filling as it did have a vinyl roof and could do with a new one. The wiring in the engine bay's not particularly pretty but it works. The solid fuel lines could do with tidying up, and the return to the tank isn't the prettiest but again, it works perfectly well. There's a rusty bit on the bottom of the OSR arch just behind the wheel which does go through to the boot.

Ideally I'd like offers around £900, if anyone wants more details just ask!

2012-05-09170344.jpg

2012-05-09170327.jpg

2012-05-08123102.jpg

• 1 month later...

An update!

It's now got a bit of a dent in the rear quarter above the light. I'll get some pics up later.

Timing chain guide on the NS of the engine (starter side) has broken up, still runs and drives but the chain's loose so I wouldn't recommend driving it far. The rubber gearbox mount is also knackered, which in turn has knackered the rear oil seal and propshaft centre bearing, but I do have a brand new bearing to go with the car.

Don't have time to carry on with this one, got too many projects on the go but it's still MOTd til 31 May next year and taxed til the end of October. First person with £350 takes it. I can also supply an 1800 sump, pickup pipe and engine mounts for a price if you wanted to put an XE in it again.

What sort of a job is that timing chain guide and are they easy enough to get hold of, did you do the holes in the roof, oh and is it still for sale, sold my a series so looking for something else now.

Hi John, and everyone else! Here are some more pictures of the car. I've sorted the roof, it's not pretty when you're close up but it's watertight and better than the gaffer tape that was on there. I cleaned it back with a wire brush on my grinder, fillered the holes, primed the roof then painted it all satin black. The timing chain guides are only available new from Germany I think, but someone on here might have a set to sell. It's an engine out, head off and sump off job to get the front cover off so might be easier to drop a complete running engine in. I've got a spare I could put in if it ever stopped raining, but then I'd want £450 for the car as a runner.

20120523_151303.jpg

20120523_155524.jpg

20120523_162612.jpg

20120605_160518.jpg

20120605_160429.jpg

20120605_160534.jpg

20120605_160806.jpg

Oh, and the little chrome strip along the rear quarter behind the wheelarch has fallen off somewhere between Cardiff and Castle Combe, so that doesn't come with it.

Edited by spiney_norman

• 2 weeks later...

Good, I can stop looking at pictures of it every day and wondering how I'd break the news to my mrs about another car coming home that I felt sorry for. I would have liked to have run it through the winter as a daily driver and then possibly track day'd it next year. It looks like a good solid shell and has got some nice bits on it. Just the shockers would have cost about £250. I hope the new owner enjoys it. Luke.

• 3 weeks later...