Newbie Dreamer Wanting A Series Resto

Hondarider

Hi guys and gals

Currently trying to move house in the next few months but Want to live the dream and restore an opel manta A with my son as he grows up as long as its relatively complete anything considered based in somerset I ain't some chippy car breaker looking for a profit! I won't have a garage till we move though!

Thanks for looking all help considered

I don't want to put you off the idea, any Manta's saved must be a good thing but do your homework, look at the panels needed, the availability of said panels and most importantly, the cost!! The above Manta obviously needs a front panel and possibly wings, look on Ebay, do a search on Manta A spares and you should see a brand new front panel and offside wing for sale, the panel is over £1k and the wing nearly £500 from memory? It doesn't take too long before it spirals out of control so be careful, I got bitten in exactly the same way!!

Cheers,

Alf.

Yeah seen it already and messaged owner but believe he's looking for a quick sale. And I currently have an issue with storage etc till I move. I've have just been trawling most of the Restos on this site to get an idea of what to expect. I don't believe anything is out of my doing from what I have seen as for panels I was lucky enough to do a beater course when I was younger so should be able to produce most panels out of sheet and used to be handy with a tig welder as well just hoping its like riding a bike! Although it was a long time ago when I fell off! Lol but thankyou for the replys Regards Ash.

Im with Alf, that one looks like a lot of work and a lot of money. I would wait for a better one to come along. Do lots of googleing as bits are easy to get in germany but do cost a lot. Mine didnt not a lot of body work but they still consume a lot of money if you have a lot of stuff to replace or want to upgrade things!! Bearings, seals bushes, it never ends :-)

Andy

Hi guys well saw both the cars on eBay and actually preferred the black one that required more work. I know I'm weird. But alas they have sold and now been told my house move has been delayed by 2 months! So no garage as of yet either so I don't think either of those two we're meant for me but I'm patient I'm sure I will find my dream a series soon enough but if anyone knows of any coming up for sale etc then please let me know Thank you for he replys though guys

• 3 months later...

Hey buddie the names Fred and I could well have just the car your after. I'm an ex club member and had 3 at same time once, this one is need in need of paint and putting together, ALL parts are present and loads of extras, it is a one previous owner and 30,000 something miles and has no need of welding. I want £1500 and could deliver for a price, give me a ring on 01752518775 if you want to know more.

• 2 weeks later...

hi fred many thanks for the reply sorry for the lateness of mine, she does sound perfect!!!!!!! but have to be honest after my house move £1500 is a bit steep for my pockets at the moment :( however best of luck with the sale i am certainly gutted and all the best to the new owner. many thanks again for letting me know though

• 3 months later...

Still looking for a manta a series guys budget of £1000 at the moment but steadily increasing the longer I wait! Unfortunately I do believe I missed Fred's manta a due to moving house etc but now that's done! :) anything out there? saw one recently on eBay in bits didn't look to bad but the distance to Scotland would of massively blown the budget!

As always thanks for reading

• 1 month later...

Hi rick I be in street nr glastonbury lad you?

And ive just bought a manta A!

(A 1-43 scale model in orange and black but its a start! Lol)

But still looking for a real manta A! Ie one I can get in! Preferably complete if possible even if its in bits!

I agree with a lot on here you will need to do a lot of home work. I started by just seeing the car i am getting and stuck with it but from what i have seen with these cars they might look all pretty on the outside but under the wings and other hidden areas might give you a shock. Luckly my one looks bad from the outside but luckly it is service rust and can be sanded back and treated. But so these kind people have told me it is the jack points and rails that are the main concern. But i am sure a you have seen these lads will help you out and they have been very kind to me.

But i would advise to spend a bit more on a shell that £1000 with mine she is on good ish condition on the body does need welding here and there but i had to pay roughtly £1300-1400 for the shell and it was the engine and gearbox was the extra £1000 a nice 5.7 mustang V8 :D. That was my aim a A series manta with a V8 and was lucky to find a yank tanked Manta :D but a big thank you to all of you for the help and advise

Nick

Edited by DiMarco

Hi nick

thank you for the comment above but unfortunately I have fallen in love with the A! its shape lines style and interior are just stunning to me. So I want one! Lol time is on my side money is not I have however seen cars with trees growing through them restored with effort. And am a firm believer of nothing is beyond saving if its made of metal. Got myself booked on a car restoration course in march to so might get a qualification from my previous experiences. Would love to give a dying manta A a new home and lease of life!

Yeah i know what you mean my one i fell in love with it 10 years ago and never set my eyes on it again till 8 months ago where i saw her in a sorry state. But from after that i looked into them more and contacting the owner seeing if he would sell as it had been sat for 5-8 years. Luckly he did and now waiting to start work on it which i cant wait and really cant wait till i can take it for its first drive :D.

Hi rick I be in street nr glastonbury lad you?

And ive just bought a manta A!

(A 1-43 scale model in orange and black but its a start! Lol)

But still looking for a real manta A! Ie one I can get in! Preferably complete if possible even if its in bits!

Wow shes a true stunner! Shes already reached my budget as she sits there now. I wouldnt be surprised to see her go for nearly £3,000 if not more but thank you so much for the link I was beginning to think I wouldnt see another for sale but this has got my hopes up if nothing else for the future. Thanks again though! Wish I could convince the other half to remortgage! Lol

! Wish I could convince the other half to remortgage! Lol

Thats brilliant good luck with that.

I have to say that does look like a lush manta. I do loves these cars pure old skool and amazing to look at. Shame it is out of your price range dude that would be an awesome restore job.