Opel Manta A Series 1973 1.9 Cc Auto On Ebay

Hello,

I went to have another look at the White Hatchback on Ebay that I have been looking at and this A series Manta popped up as newly listed. It needs work doing to it but according the seller there is only 3 of these left so it's definitely worth a save. He has the starting bid priced at £5,999.

The link the advert is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-A-Series-1973-1-9-cc-Auto-VERY-RARE-only-3-left-/331234810206?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d1f22195e

Cheers,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Not sure about only 3 left, and if he gets anywhere near that price I'll be amazed. A series prices are rising, but that's the sort of money I'd expect a tidy useable one that's on the road to be fetching, with minters another couple of grand.

• Like 1

I have used that website before 'How Many Left', and I think it's only the ones that are registered or currently taxed or something but I don't think it gives the exact figure of how many in reality there are still in existence because there are untaxed ones etc.

The Car looks tidy enough but needs a lot more work than the owner is saying I reckon, just judging from the outside of the panels and the sunroof too seems to be going on the inside. Maybe it's just the headlining?

Interesting, so it's either been heavilly rear ended, or it's a ringer?

The seller's saying it's a 73 car, but that plate is down as being registered in 1971, has he just made a mistake or is he trying to tell us something?

Edited by 1900SR

If this is the original AKR (which I am sure it is), it was silver and was restored in the early 1990s. It suffered a rear end shunt in 1995, although repairable, the owner decided not to have it repaired and took the pay out for the car instead. I imagine some of the longer term club members will remember the car.

Sounds like quite an important Car then and I find that sort of thing very interesting. When a Car is for sale that used to be featured in a Magazine at some point. All very interesting history to read. Knowing what I know now I really do hope that it gets the love it needs and I wonder if the current owner knows about it's history? May explain the price that some members are finding confusing. :blink:

Edited by Jack

To be honest Jack being featured in a magazine won't really make any difference to the price of a car. If somebody such as Practical Classics magazine want a car for an article they'll put the word out via Owners Clubs and forums and if they're lucky they'll get one. The only thing special about the car is usually that it and the owner were available and willing at the time. PC were looking for a Manta A a year or so back for a similar article and couldn't find one, so the article went ahead without the Manta, I think they used an Audi instead.

I've had cars in magazines a few times, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. Usually you'll need to be in a certain place on a weekday, so meaning a day off work. Magazines won't pay to use a car, the best you can hope for is petrol money and a bit of lunch. I've had the blue A in PC and Retro Cars. For PC the shoot was at Rockingham Raceway, and we got petrol money and a meal. Retro Cars was at Bruntingthorpe and I don't remember getting anything for that although I arrived late and I think missed breakfast. Jayne's old Cavvy Sportshatch was in a buying guide in Classic Car Weekly, shot in Petrborough and no payment for that. Finally my old orange A was in Classics Monthly where we went on a road trip from my house over to Ashby Folville in Leicestershire, I got lunch from them for that one. I'm happy to do these things because it's nice to see the car in the magazine, and it gets the club publicity too.

The article above was from a supplement that came with the May 1995 issue of Practical Classics.

Edited by 1900SR
  • Like 2

To be honest Jack being featured in a magazine won't really make any difference to the price of a car. If somebody such as Practical Classics magazine want a car for an article they'll put the word out via Owners Clubs and forums and if they're lucky they'll get one. The only thing special about the car is usually that it and the owner were available and willing at the time. PC were looking for a Manta A a year or so back for a similar article and couldn't find one, so the article went ahead without the Manta, I think they used an Audi instead.

I've had cars in magazines a few times, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. Usually you'll need to be in a certain place on a weekday, so meaning a day off work. Magazines won't pay to use a car, the best you can hope for is petrol money and a bit of lunch. I've had the blue A in PC and Retro Cars. For PC the shoot was at Rockingham Raceway, and we got petrol money and a meal. Retro Cars was at Bruntingthorpe and I don't remember getting anything for that although I arrived late and I think missed breakfast. Jayne's old Cavvy Sportshatch was in a buying guide in Classic Car Weekly, shot in Petrborough and no payment for that. Finally my old orange A was in Classics Monthly where we went on a road trip from my house over to Ashby Folville in Leicestershire, I got lunch from them for that one. I'm happy to do these things because it's nice to see the car in the magazine, and it gets the club publicity too.

The article above was from a supplement that came with the May 1995 issue of Practical Classics.

Yes that's what I was more or less getting at it being nice more than anything to have a Manta in a Car magazine such as PC, also it's good publicity for the club and to have your own Car featured must be good too. It just seems a nice thing to do more than anything. My godfathers old Exclusive was featured in the first edition of Total Vauxhall magazine although I've never been able to find it.

Yes that's what I was more or less getting at it being nice more than anything to have a Manta in a Car magazine such as PC, also it's good publicity for the club and to have your own Car featured must be good too. It just seems a nice thing to do more than anything. My godfathers old Exclusive was featured in the first edition of Total Vauxhall magazine although I've never been able to find it.

Why not ask total vauxhall see if they have it archived? They may be able to do you a photocopy. Or perhaps the VBOA may have access to a copy?.

perhaps the VBOA may have access to a copy?.

to the best of my knowledge the VBOA do not hold copies of any magzines.

just checked flea-bay for Total Astra ( ooops i mean Total Vauxhall ) magazine, no issue one as far as i can see but i saw this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Vauxhall-magazine-Jul-2014-Crail-Show-470bhp-VXR-Sleeper-Cabrio-Nova-/251550205072?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item3a918f8490

The current issue of total Vauxhall, buy it now, £7.25, it's cover price is £4.45 available in news agents off the shelf, am i missing something here ?

Anyway back to A series, i think the seller is being optimistic, look closely at the photo's and not only is the sill subject to a repair/filler there are rust bubbles at the bottom of the A pillar/wing, we all know the usual implications of this, look underneath, lift the carpets, take off the front wings, l think you could be faced with a major restoration job, perhaps the decimal piont in the price needs moving to the left !!

• Like 1

I really like the idea of owning an A series Manta because I have never had the experience of having a ride in one. I grew up around the B series because the B series is the only Manta my Manta owning godfather would own. Maybe one day...

The orange A series has been floating around for sale for a couple of years now. It first appeared on Ebay then at a classic car dealer up in Harogate for 10k. After a while it disappeared and turned up at Mathewsons at Thorton Le Dale late last year sporting a GTE stripe and the big black aftermarket rims for 7k. By all accounts it is a very nice car but it must have took a long time to sell when new as we'll due to its 1976 registration.

The silver one looks expensive for a resto project, makes the orange one look a good buy.

The autos tend to be rare nowadays as a lot have been converted to 5 speed manuals, more often than not accompanied by a XE