Waterless coolant

Kal001

Hi All

Been reading about waterless coolant and heard the advice on Wheeler  Dealers where his holiness Ed China recommended it for several reasons

no water so no corrosion

less pressure in the system so easier on it 

lasts a lifetime 

engine runs a bit cooler 

less toxic 

costs a bit more but who cares in the grand scale of things and requires a bit more work prior to installation 

Was wondering if anyone has used it and how they found it or if any wise people have any advice on the matter 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Kal001

Andy (611 on here) has used it, or will be using it, in his A-series (www.theopelproject.com).

The biggest drawback I see is that if for some reason you need to change a hose, or otherwise open the cooling system, it's a hell of a lot more expensive that water to top up with. There's a very good writeup somewhere on the pistonheads forum, I'll see if I can find it...

Andy (611 on here) has used it, or will be using it, in his A-series (www.theopelproject.com).

The biggest drawback I see is that if for some reason you need to change a hose, or otherwise open the cooling system, it's a hell of a lot more expensive that water to top up with. There's a very good writeup somewhere on the pistonheads forum, I'll see if I can find it...

appreciate what you mean about costs think you're looking at about £200. £100 for the pre treatment which can be saved filtered and re used and the rest for the actual coolant which again can be caught and reused should you have to change hoses etc. 

Recently changed all my hoses to silicone so hopefully shouldn't need to change any too soon now 

It's good in older cars with alloy blocks and water pumps as it iradicates the problems of leaving them sat/stored over the winter, as well as stopping the alloy from corroding. I've heard of a few people with modern cars who've had to change back to water and ethylene glycol as the waterless coolant (which is just proplyene glycol) have their temp gauge or dashboard warnings read 'overheat' because although the coolant won't boil, but it does actually run at a higher temperature, confusing some modern cars multitude of sensors. It's certainly more popular with classics at the moment and I've heard as many good reviews for modern stuff than negative. I'd be confident that both the CIH and OHC mantas would be spot on with it, but have yet to try it to give personal experience and my concern would be that it's four times more viscous than water and antifreeze, so could possibly affect water pump life?

Diesels seem to be okay with it too as desoite their compression, they don't run as hot. That Evans company was pushing it for lorry fleets as it's a one off fill, then for the hundreds of thousands of miles they do, they don't need to pay for coolant services ever again.

• Like 1

Got some of that stuff in my A, but not had it running properly yet to see what its actually like.

I did a far bit of reading and watched a whole load of youtube stuff and it seems to more suited to older cars as previously mentioned. Mine was in a new build so did not need the flush so that saved me a few quid. I found ebay the best prices on there and you can get a kit that has the flush and coolant together so might get a better price. It is a bit thicker than water but i dont think it will cause water pump issues.

I wish i could offer more info on what its like, maybe in a few months time i will find out :-)   

• Like 1